smack pack didn't swell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I brewed yesterday using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan.

I popped the smack pack and let it rest at room temp (70-75) for about 4 hrs. It never swelled up at all.

It was shipped with a cool pack, went into the fridge the day it arrived, and it's been there ever since. It hasn't passed the expiration date on the package.

I didn't make a starter. The directions on the pack didn't say that I needed to. I'm thinking now maybe I should have.

I pitched it about 9:00 Last night and I haven't been down to check on it yet this morning. It's my first time using liquid yeast. And I'm just wondering is it normal for a smack pack not to expand?

Thanks,

Kornbread

I had a similar issue, after 12 batches, the 13th did not swell. So I opened it and added a small amount of wort, still nothing, I then went ahead and pitched it, still nothing.

Lesson learned always do a starter (with liquid yeast) a couple days ahead of you brew day.

This will give you time to remedy it, if it is dead as it seems yours is. Also someone recommended that dry yeast is cheap and I should keep some in the fridge, for just these type of issues.

Now I say this, we will see if I do it next time!!

Well, add my name to the list of people that did this. I used two very specific types of yeast, ringwood and northwest, and neither swelled much. I brew at my friends house, and he didn't look at it this morning before work, so I'm not sure if its started yet. We didn't put it in the fermentation fridge yet though, in an attempt to keep it a little warm for the startup phase. Hopefully that will help a little.

mike

Another reason to use a starter. Even if it doesn't swell you could pitch it into a starter and get it going. I also keep a few packets of dry yeast around just in case.

I've heard that the dry yeast also carries with it a certain quantity of bacteria, picked up simply from the process of drying it out. I don't use it mostly because I want very specific strains, ones that aren't dried. I suppose that if this doesn't start by tonight we should mix up a couple packs of neutral ale dry yeast. Seems a waste though, the packs I got were made at the end of july, is that too long for them to be on the shelf?

I've heard that the dry yeast also carries with it a certain quantity of bacteria, picked up simply from the process of drying it out. I don't use it mostly because I want very specific strains, ones that aren't dried. I suppose that if this doesn't start by tonight we should mix up a couple packs of neutral ale dry yeast. Seems a waste though, the packs I got were made at the end of july, is that too long for them to be on the shelf?

They're like $1.19. I use 2 packs of safale 04 for all my bitters/esbs/pas.

Hey guys,

I brewed yesterday using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan.

I popped the smack pack and let it rest at room temp (70-75) for about 4 hrs. It never swelled up at all.

It was shipped with a cool pack, went into the fridge the day it arrived, and it's been there ever since. It hasn't passed the expiration date on the package.

I didn't make a starter. The directions on the pack didn't say that I needed to. I'm thinking now maybe I should have.

I pitched it about 9:00 Last night and I haven't been down to check on it yet this morning. It's my first time using liquid yeast. And I'm just wondering is it normal for a smack pack not to expand?

Thanks,

Kornbread
I always smack the paks several days before I want to brew. The date on the pack should be when it was made. Add a day for every month past that date. Did you use an activator or propagator pak? If it's a propagator you should always make a starter.

I had one that did not swell after 24 hours - I pitched it anyway and after 30 hours all was well. No worries.

I DO not make a starter so I won't worry everything will come out fine. Just might take a tad longer to get going.

Expect a post from Revvy.

+1

I've had some yeast packs that were VERY difficult to smack. Finally after feeling the pack for 5 minutes I located the nutrient pack and smacked the heck out of it. Always make sure you can no longer feel the nutrient pack.

Once I thought I had smacked the pack and it wasn't swelling much so I went ahead and pitched it... only to find an intact nutrient pack inside. In despair I opened the nutrient pack and pitchted it into the wort. Everything worked out.

I now start a smack pack the night before a morning brew.

Now that I'm starting to figure out starters I plan to ALWAYS do a starter wether using a smack pack or a dry pack.

I checked on it last night (47 hrs after pitching) and their is some airlock activity.

Thanks for the reassurances. Next time I use liquid yeast I will definitely make a starter.

kornbread

It's also recommended that if the pack doesn't smack pitch it into a starter about the same volume as it was originally in before bumping it up to 5 gallon pitching rates.

Back