Sluggish fermentation with Omega 004/West Coast yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoffmeister

Reaction score
Hey all--I brewed a west coast IPA (partial mash, OG of 1.065) six days ago, and my airlock is still bubbling intermittently (about every 8 seconds). I used the full package of yeast and pitched into 3 gallons, so there shouldn't be any issues with under-pitching, I followed all of my usual cleaning/sanitation procedures, and it's been kept in a steady 68-70* temperature space, but fermentation never really "took off." Usually after 3-4 days primary is complete and I let the beer rest for another 3-4 before transferring to secondary, but I'm not used to such a slow, sluggish fermentation for a normal strength beer. I've used Omega yeast for other beers, but this is my first time using this particular strain. Is this common? I've been home brewing for quite a while, but this is a new one for me. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming attenuation hasn't finished, there are a few possibilities. IMO, the most likely one would be low-ish yeast viability or vitality. How old was the yeast? How was it handled between the time it was packaged and when you pitched it?

It was manufactured in September of this year, so it was pretty fresh. The shop I use is pretty diligent and reputable, and on my end at least, it went straight into the fridge when I got home. I did let it warm up to room temp while I was prepping/brewing (a couple of hours), and my pitching temp was around 75* or so. Strange, right?

What's the final gravity?
According to the app I use, it should finish at 1.103, but since its still going I haven't checked it yet. I'm planning on transferring to a secondary tomorrow or Wednesday anyway (7-8 days after pitching, respectively), so I should have an idea of where its at then.

According to the app I use, it should finish at 1.103, but since its still going I haven't checked it yet. I'm planning on transferring to a secondary tomorrow or Wednesday anyway (7-8 days after pitching, respectively), so I should have an idea of where its at then.
1.103 or 1.013? I'd give it two weeks in primary then check the gravity. Secondary is totally unnecessary.

1.103 or 1.013? I'd give it two weeks in primary then check the gravity. Secondary is totally unnecessary.
Haha, sorry, I meant 1.013 for the FG. I usually do bypass doing a secondary, but I'm planning on dry hopping this one. I usually like to dry hop in a bucket, instead of a carboy, as it's easier to get the bag of hops out during cleaning.

Latest posts

Back