Fast fermenting strains for west coast IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david unfried

Reaction score
Hi there all - Ive always stuck to US-05 and want to branch out for a faster fermenting and possibly higher floc strain. This would be for my basic house west coast IPA i keep on tap most of the time. Considering WLP090, but I would love any suggestions. Anything you folks have used you liked in the past?

Thanks all :)

Have you thought about using kviek? Not sure what strain would work for a west coast, but I've used Voss for hazys that I do in a week.

Thanks for the suggestion! That's what I was thinking as well. Did a fair amount of research and I think I've settled on trying a Kveik strain - Omega Yeast OYL-071 Lutra. Looks to have a higher flock and great speed.

Seems to fit the requirements just right and should be great for garage temps here in Texas.

How "fast" are you wanting? I have made a few 5%-ish beers with W-34/70 fermented at 62F (raised to 66F once fermentation slowed). They were ready to keg in the same time as US-05, and dropped clear faster. I want to try that for a future IPA. The last one fermented with Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell took forever to drop clear.

Yeah, WLP090 seems like a decent option (a yeast I have never used), and I am also curious about Lutra in such a beer.

Back