slowly ramped up temp to 72, should I keep that temp for secondary and dry hopping?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

2ellas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
98
Reaction score
11
Happy new year everyone!

I brewed an ipa a week or two ago and over the past few days I've ramped the fermentation temp from 66 to 72. It's time to rack to secondary (not sure yet if I will or not) and dry hop. My question is about the secondary/dry hop temp. Should I keep it at 72 until it's bottling time or bring it back down to 68ish? Please let me know if there's any additional info needed to answer this accurately.

thank you in advance!
 

giraffe

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2014
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
227
Location
Portland
Its largely irrelevant, I dont believe you would notice a difference either way.
 

C-Rider

Senior Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
4,009
Reaction score
482
Location
Wai
^ w/above, but just forget the secondary. If you use pellet/hops just make funnel out of a clean sheet of 8 x 11 paper. Then pop the air lock and add the pellets using the funnel. Then replace airlock. Make sure you put the airlock into some sanitizer while it's waiting to be returned to it's place on the cover.
 
OP
2ellas

2ellas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
98
Reaction score
11
Sounds good! Should I wait until it's done fermenting to dry hop so I can bottle after 4-5 days to get the beer out/off of the hops? I don't want to pick up a grassy flavor by leaving the chinook, centennial and simcoe hops in there too long. Thanks again everyone!
 

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
May 14, 2014
Messages
11,235
Reaction score
7,363
Location
Renton
Sounds good! Should I wait until it's done fermenting to dry hop so I can bottle after 4-5 days to get the beer out/off of the hops? I don't want to pick up a grassy flavor by leaving the chinook, centennial and simcoe hops in there too long. Thanks again everyone!
You want to wait until fermentation is done before dry-hopping so that the evolving CO2 doesn't sweep the hop aromas/flavors out of the beer.

Brew on :mug:
 
Joined
Jan 17, 2012
Messages
2,808
Reaction score
1,007
Location
Ellsworth
So, you increased the temperature to make sure your fermentation finished and cleaned up any of the byproducts of initial fermentation. That's a good thing! But, if you are sure that fermentation is done(BIG difference between 1 week and 2 weeks by the way) then I vote for taking that temp. down to the 40's to cold crash it and add the hops directly to the primary. IMO the dryhops will work well(better?) and your beer will clearup quicker. Same thing if you decide to use a secondary- chill her and dryhop. Good Luck!
 
Top