slowly ramped up temp to 72, should I keep that temp for secondary and dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ellas

Reaction score
Happy new year everyone!

I brewed an ipa a week or two ago and over the past few days I've ramped the fermentation temp from 66 to 72. It's time to rack to secondary (not sure yet if I will or not) and dry hop. My question is about the secondary/dry hop temp. Should I keep it at 72 until it's bottling time or bring it back down to 68ish? Please let me know if there's any additional info needed to answer this accurately.

thank you in advance!

Its largely irrelevant, I dont believe you would notice a difference either way.

^ w/above, but just forget the secondary. If you use pellet/hops just make funnel out of a clean sheet of 8 x 11 paper. Then pop the air lock and add the pellets using the funnel. Then replace airlock. Make sure you put the airlock into some sanitizer while it's waiting to be returned to it's place on the cover.

Sounds good! Should I wait until it's done fermenting to dry hop so I can bottle after 4-5 days to get the beer out/off of the hops? I don't want to pick up a grassy flavor by leaving the chinook, centennial and simcoe hops in there too long. Thanks again everyone!

Sounds good! Should I wait until it's done fermenting to dry hop so I can bottle after 4-5 days to get the beer out/off of the hops? I don't want to pick up a grassy flavor by leaving the chinook, centennial and simcoe hops in there too long. Thanks again everyone!

You want to wait until fermentation is done before dry-hopping so that the evolving CO2 doesn't sweep the hop aromas/flavors out of the beer.

Brew on :mug:

So, you increased the temperature to make sure your fermentation finished and cleaned up any of the byproducts of initial fermentation. That's a good thing! But, if you are sure that fermentation is done(BIG difference between 1 week and 2 weeks by the way) then I vote for taking that temp. down to the 40's to cold crash it and add the hops directly to the primary. IMO the dryhops will work well(better?) and your beer will clearup quicker. Same thing if you decide to use a secondary- chill her and dryhop. Good Luck!

Back