Slow starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHSBrewer

Reaction score
I've had a some WLP041 in the fridge for a few weeks (was planning on brewing a month ago but life got in the way) and needless to say they're not at peak viability. I'm planning on brewing this weekend and prepared a starter Wednesday evening since I was going to use a two-stage process to make up for the old yeast. This morning (Friday) there are still slow bubbles and it's never really looked very active over the past couple of days.

Is this a bad sign for my beer and maybe I should just buy a new vial? Or can I refrigerate while they're still active, decant, and make the 2nd stage starter and I'll be good to go? The OG of my recipe is 1.056.

what's the viability of the yeast? Use Mr. Malty & the date on the vial and figure out how old it is. I've had old yeast that failed to make a strong starter & just wound up splurging the extra $7 for a fresh vial. That being said, 1.056 isn't too big and you may be able to stage it & have it work. I'd probably get a new vial though...nothing worse than having done all that work & wind up with weak yeast.
best of luck.

Back