Slow, but not stopped fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnoba12

Reaction score
I am brewing up some cranberry wine. My Starting gravity is 1.100 and I pitched the yeast about 2 months ago. I have the wine in my basement that stays around 65 degrees F.

The issue I am having is that it has been fermenting very slowly. I took a gravity reading last night and it was about 1.085. The fermentation has been steady, it has been going like this since I pitched the yeast. Should I just leave it alone? This just seems odd that it is taking so long.

I am using Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast. I did up this gallon of cranberry wine plus I started a gallon of orange juice wine at the same time. I used the same package yeast by dumping half in one and half in the other. The orange Juice was done after a month. I am certain that my yeast was good.

I also followed the directions on the packet of yeast. I don't remember exactly the directions off the top of my head but it said something about mixing it with 90 degree F water, letting it sit for some time, and then pitching the yeast.

My basement is heated, but it stays cooler, so it stays around 65 degrees F.

Back