Sloppy Saturday Frequency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often should we engage in Sloppy Saturday

• Weekly

• Monthly

• Other frequency (please elaborate)

• Never, that **** was whack!

Results are only viewable after voting.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the community enjoyment of our first Sloppy Saturday (formerly No Correction Saturday) some of us have put forth the idea of it becoming a weekly or monthly affair. I just wanted to officially poll the community to see how often you would like to do this, if at all. Cheers! :mug:

Sloppy Saturdays rule, although the majority of my participation in the alchy thread is "sloppy".

Figured as much. It is a shame that what happened, did. It was a great place to kill time. It is a shame that it got ruined for the rest of us. I have to say that it was a great resource for finding brews that are tasty and available.

DrunkleJon said:
Figured as much. It is a shame that what happened, did. It was a great place to kill time. It is a shame that it got ruined for the rest of us. I have to say that it was a great resource for finding brews that are tasty and available.

I too will miss it. I had a great time drinking and talking with everyone in that thread. I find it ridiculous and the reasons for it sound like complete BS.

Looks dead dead. I wouldn't call it BS though. Things appear to have gone out of control, and with the sheer amount of posts that thread got I am sure it was hard to monitor. HBT does have a responsibility to cover their butts. I just hope that another place for the alchies to spend time shows up that does not annoy the mods. I miss the thread, but do not want to taunt the mods when they said explicitly that no recreations are allowed.

The reasons were definitely not BS. It was pretty serious situation out there last night. I PM'd Pappers_ asking why they couldn't just punish the few who were involved (i.e. cheering Nizzle on on that other forum) and apparently, without getting into details, there's more going on than most of probably saw, even if you were there to witness it. We'll just have to wait it out and see if the thread is opened back up.

I missed it but from what I can piece together was not pretty but I have always had an issue with blanket fixes, punish the players not the group. I deal with far too often in my life.
Sloppy Saturdays rule:rockin:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that anything said or done last night was acceptable. Just that it sucks for the thread to be shut down for the rest of us.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that anything said or done last night was acceptable. Just that it sucks for the thread to be shut down for the rest of us.

it does suck. I miss it.

something I feel we all need to realize is that a forum is not a democracy in any way. the mods are always beaten to be the bad guys in the situation, but responsibility falls on their heads. hopefully the situation can be resolved in a timely manner, no matter the outcome.

it does suck. I miss it.

something I feel we all need to realize is that a forum is not a democracy in any way. the mods are always beaten to be the bad guys in the situation, but responsibility falls on their heads. hopefully the situation can be resolved in a timely manner, no matter the outcome.

True, it's not a democracy here, but I agree with ChefRex. There are better ways to handle these types of problems that don't effect the enjoyment of the forum for the vast majority of us who play by the rules.

Something about threats of violence against other members. I didn't catch it as it happened, but that's what the closing message says.

And I still don't get what that has to do with any of us. But the mods have made it clear they dont exactly like us that are usually in that thread nor do they care for the thread itself so there ya go. My opinion but it is what it is.

And I still don't get what that has to do with any of us. But the mods have made it clear they dont exactly like us that are usually in that thread nor do they care for the thread itself so there ya go. My opinion but it is what it is.

Something else I just realized... the potential for this sort of thing exists regardless of what the topic of the thread is. Why don't we just shut the whole mother ****in' site down?

Something else I just realized... the potential for this sort of thing exists regardless of what the topic of the thread is. Why don't we just shut the whole mother ****in' site down?

I can totally get shutting down a thread in the event of members threatening other members. But yeah, this forum has several "hang-out" threads (and probably a higher-than-average amount of drinking & posting :cross:) and aside from banning people, I don't know how you keep the same problem from rearing its ugly head elsewhere.

I can totally get shutting down a thread in the event of members threatening other members. But yeah, this forum has several "hang-out" threads (and probably a higher-than-average amount of drinking & posting :cross:) and aside from banning people, I don't know how you keep the same problem from rearing its ugly head elsewhere.

And what's wrong with banning people? You act up and your gone but why do I pay for someone else's actions? I did nothing wrong but I can no longer participate in a thread that I honestly enjoyed, this forum is rather slow without it. I have tried a lot of beers I wouldn't have because of the thread.Please Mods let us have it back.:mug:

And what's wrong with banning people? You act up and your gone but why do I pay for someone else's actions? I did nothing wrong but I can no longer participate in a thread that I honestly enjoyed, this forum is rather slow without it. I have tried a lot of beers I wouldn't have because of the thread.Please Mods let us have it back.:mug:

There's nothing wrong with banning people. It's a totally acceptable response to what it sounds like was going on. I didn't spend as much time in that thread as some people, but it was fun to check on once in a while, had some cool pics and good recommendations of stuff to try. I'm agreeing with nuke's point that the same problem could easily creep up in any other thread.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how a thread about what people are drinking could escalate into threats...

There's nothing wrong with banning people. It's a totally acceptable response to what it sounds like was going on. I didn't spend as much time in that thread as some people, but it was fun to check on once in a while, had some cool pics and good recommendations of stuff to try. I'm agreeing with nuke's point that the same problem could easily creep up in any other thread.

Honestly, I'm not even sure how a thread about what people are drinking could escalate into threats...
it's not the thread, but people not letting things go. the thread is just a common point. especially since that's where all the trouble started in the first place. i feel it will keep happening until there is a big change regarding new posters is implemented to help weed out the trouble makers. even then, a problem is still a problem.

I agree with Chef, I participeted in that thread less than many, but it truly shone (shined? it sure didn't sparkle did it?) by showing what I may want to try. I mean if you see people all consuming the same beers, there is at least a chance that I may enjoy that same one, and with the pictures I have a better chance of remembering what it looks like and being able to find it on a shelf of tens of hundreds of bottles and cans.

I am not going to question the mods decision, though I would appreciate a place to be able to enjoy some solidarity and showing off what wonderful beer is in your hand. I would even support it in the premium only section if they thought that was a solution.

Cheers all! Have one for me tonight. And make it something obscure and hopefully tasty.

I wouldn't. Nothing about the way they've handled the situation make me wanna buy a membership

Even though I have a paid membership, I agree with the sentiment. Plus, making people pay for it wouldn't do anything. Stupid people are still going to be stupid whether they're a paid member or not.

it's not the thread, but people not letting things go. the thread is just a common point. especially since that's where all the trouble started in the first place. i feel it will keep happening until there is a big change regarding new posters is implemented to help weed out the trouble makers. even then, a problem is still a problem.

Gotcha. Like I said, I missed out on the events immediately preceding both lockdowns, only to show up to the grumbling afterwards.

I wonder why that is. That's kind of like not liking someone who drinks BMC because you don't like BMC, which I have personally read posts from mods who discourage that kind of attitude. Double standard much?

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
I wouldn't. Nothing about the way they've handled the situation make me wanna buy a membership

Same here. I see a lot of people on this site who say the info and help is well worth the money...blah, blah, blah. I don't feel the same way. I learned everything necessary for making good beer, by reading, reading, reading, and doing. I found this site by searching for a question I wanted some clarification on. The only thing I really use this forum for now is to hang out and drink with all the other functioning alcoholics here. ;)
So, no, I will not pay for a premium membership just to BS in one thread. Untappd and text messaging can accomplish that. Between the over/selective moderation I've seen here and the crappy ass app that crashes and fails to connect every five minutes, I see nothing here worth $25 a year.

Hi guys. I've got a lot of time to kill tonight, I thought I'd address some of the comments here. I understand your disappointment and I truly appreciate the way you've addressed it here.

Is it officially dead, or are we on another hiatus?

Hiatus. I enjoy that thread too.

I missed it but from what I can piece together was not pretty but I have always had an issue with blanket fixes, punish the players not the group. I deal with far too often in my life.
Sloppy Saturdays rule:rockin:

Blanket fixes are not fair, I agree. You'd be surprised to know the other "fixes" that did not work. NIZZLE keeps coming back to that thread. Why?

And I still don't get what that has to do with any of us. But the mods have made it clear they don't exactly like us that are usually in that thread nor do they care for the thread itself so there ya go. My opinion but it is what it is.

Nope. Like the Tap Room, that thread is hilarious and a general good time for everyone in there. The mods only have an issue with one particular ex-member. The fact that he has strong support in that thread when he returns each time is why that thread is being affected.

In time. I understand that that thread is a really great way to spend your evenings. I understand that, as much as an online forum can allow, that thread is full of camaraderie. I am truly sorry for affecting you all - I really mean that. I don't post much in that thread (I really only drink homebrew, so not much to say), but I have a rapport with many of you guys/gals in other threads. I'm surprised at the negative comments as I have always treated you all with respect, and I thought you knew my only intention as a mod was to keep the thread a fun and educational place for brewers and drinkers.

That's your prerogative. It's hard to make everyone happy all the time. All members, regardless of their membership, make this form what it is. I don't think any mod, ever, has encouraged any member to pay. It doesn't matter to us at all.

I just sent a PM to TX as I did last time, not sure it does any good but it can't hurt. Only time will tell.

TxBrew reads all emails. We (mods and admins) do discuss all issues, so don't feel that your messages are being ignored.

So, no, I will not pay for a premium membership just to BS in one thread. Untappd and text messaging can accomplish that. Between the over/selective moderation I've seen here and the crappy ass app that crashes and fails to connect every five minutes, I see nothing here worth $25 a year.

Yep, the app isn't great. I use the iPhone app occasionally, and it's just OK. It has occasional problems. I can't really do anything on it, but that says more about my ability to type on a 3" screen. But, it's better than no app at all. And, it's completely free.

This site has 172,000 members. At this very moment, a slow Sunday night, there are hundreds of active posters (members) typing in one of 430,000 threads (there are more than 5 million posts on this relatively young hobbyist website). You can see this info on the forum home screen. There are 7 mods and 2 admins. I don't think we could "over-moderate" this site. It might look like that if you spend a lot of time in one particular thread, though, I can see that.

WesleyS said:
Same here. I see a lot of people on this site who say the info and help is well worth the money...blah, blah, blah. I don't feel the same way. I learned everything necessary for making good beer, by reading, reading, reading, and doing. I found this site by searching for a question I wanted some clarification on. The only thing I really use this forum for now is to hang out and drink with all the other functioning alcoholics here. ;) So, no, I will not pay for a premium membership just to BS in one thread. Untappd and text messaging can accomplish that. Between the over/selective moderation I've seen here and the crappy ass app that crashes and fails to connect every five minutes, I see nothing here worth $25 a year.

Cheapskate! How about just supporting those who provide the community you frequent? My app has never crashed. Get a new phone cheapy. Or I will kick your ass!!!!! :p

172,000 (drinking) members and only an occasional ignorant unruly member. If you've ever spent time on other forums, you know the overall quality of this place is truly remarkable. I support whatever the mods need to do to keep it that way.

While passedpawn said it all, I want you all to know that while it was not an easy decision to put the thread on hiatus, it was unanimous.

He left out that there were indeed actual threats about going to a location where one of us lives, and inducing physical harm. Since some of us are not the least bit anonymous on this forum, it was taken as a true threat. It was full of hate, and obscenities, and threats.

While it was not one of you guys, it was "egged on" by some. Overall, the posts were reported but you did not see the actual obscene and threatening PMs. Trust me, it wasn't funny. It wasn't done in the spirit of joking or after having a few. There was a specific threat to a member of our mod team.

We are a pretty laid back group, and closing the thread wasn't done as a punishment to all. It was more of a stop-gap measure to stop the situation at this time.

If some of you feel that we picked on this thread- but we do not. Trust me, none of us has ever said a bad word about that thread and most of us like it, even if we don't post in it. I feel like I post way too much as it is, and don't want to invade your virtual pub- but I do enjoy it.

I appreciate the people who reported the posts as they came up. That is a great help to us.

Passed and Yooper have already said much, but I do want to chime in here with my own thoughts.

For one, I don't personally have any ill feeling toward this, or any other OT thread. In general, they kind of take care of themselves, and I like that. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard any of the mods talking down to a particular thread, even though some of them can be a little... Quirky...

Once in a long while, something comes along that is way beyond breaking the rules, however, and the reins need to pulled in a bit. As far as I know the "Alchy" thread is only on hiatus. I hope it comes back, because I appreciate the camaraderie that went on there, even though I don't personally join in.

We try hard to work with people here. All difficult decisions are made with the question in mind of, "How will this affect the site, and other members' experience for the best?"

As has been said before, there are A LOT of members. We want the site to be a pleasant experience for all, in their own way. There are diverse forums here with many different personalities. A little something for everyone, if you will. Hopefully the place you enjoyed hanging out will be back soon. We'll see.

passedpawn said:
Hi guys. I've got a lot of time to kill tonight, I thought I'd address some of the comments here. I understand your disappointment and I truly appreciate the way you've addressed it here.

Hiatus. I enjoy that thread too.

Blanket fixes are not fair, I agree. You'd be surprised to know the other "fixes" that did not work. NIZZLE keeps coming back to that thread. Why?

Nope. Like the Tap Room, that thread is hilarious and a general good time for everyone in there. The mods only have an issue with one particular ex-member. The fact that he has strong support in that thread when he returns each time is why that thread is being affected.

In time. I understand that that thread is a really great way to spend your evenings. I understand that, as much as an online forum can allow, that thread is full of camaraderie. I am truly sorry for affecting you all - I really mean that. I don't post much in that thread (I really only drink homebrew, so not much to say), but I have a rapport with many of you guys/gals in other threads. I'm surprised at the negative comments as I have always treated you all with respect, and I thought you knew my only intention as a mod was to keep the thread a fun and educational place for brewers and drinkers.

That's your prerogative. It's hard to make everyone happy all the time. All members, regardless of their membership, make this form what it is. I don't think any mod, ever, has encouraged any member to pay. It doesn't matter to us at all.

TxBrew reads all emails. We (mods and admins) do discuss all issues, so don't feel that your messages are being ignored.

Yep, the app isn't great. I use the iPhone app occasionally, and it's just OK. It has occasional problems. I can't really do anything on it, but that says more about my ability to type on a 3" screen. But, it's better than no app at all. And, it's completely free.

This site has 172,000 members. At this very moment, a slow Sunday night, there are hundreds of active posters (members) typing in one of 430,000 threads (there are more than 5 million posts on this relatively young hobbyist website). You can see this info on the forum home screen. There are 7 mods and 2 admins. I don't think we could "over-moderate" this site. It might look like that if you spend a lot of time in one particular thread, though, I can see that.

Yooper said:
While passedpawn said it all, I want you all to know that while it was not an easy decision to put the thread on hiatus, it was unanimous.

He left out that there were indeed actual threats about going to a location where one of us lives, and inducing physical harm. Since some of us are not the least bit anonymous on this forum, it was taken as a true threat. It was full of hate, and obscenities, and threats.

While it was not one of you guys, it was "egged on" by some. Overall, the posts were reported but you did not see the actual obscene and threatening PMs. Trust me, it wasn't funny. It wasn't done in the spirit of joking or after having a few. There was a specific threat to a member of our mod team.

We are a pretty laid back group, and closing the thread wasn't done as a punishment to all. It was more of a stop-gap measure to stop the situation at this time.

If some of you feel that we picked on this thread- but we do not. Trust me, none of us has ever said a bad word about that thread and most of us like it, even if we don't post in it. I feel like I post way too much as it is, and don't want to invade your virtual pub- but I do enjoy it.

I appreciate the people who reported the posts as they came up. That is a great help to us.

Homercidal said:
Passed and Yooper have already said much, but I do want to chime in here with my own thoughts.

For one, I don't personally have any ill feeling toward this, or any other OT thread. In general, they kind of take care of themselves, and I like that. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard any of the mods talking down to a particular thread, even though some of them can be a little... Quirky...

Once in a long while, something comes along that is way beyond breaking the rules, however, and the reins need to pulled in a bit. As far as I know the "Alchy" thread is only on hiatus. I hope it comes back, because I appreciate the camaraderie that went on there, even though I don't personally join in.

We try hard to work with people here. All difficult decisions are made with the question in mind of, "How will this affect the site, and other members' experience for the best?"

As has been said before, there are A LOT of members. We want the site to be a pleasant experience for all, in their own way. There are diverse forums here with many different personalities. A little something for everyone, if you will. Hopefully the place you enjoyed hanging out will be back soon. We'll see.

Thanks for addressing some of the concerns of those who have posted here. Y'all could've just said "The thread is closed, deal with it."
But you didn't and I appreciate that.

Thanks for the clarification from the Mods. :mug:

My opinion, Those who helped instigate in the matter should also be banned without discussion. Since you know who the guilty parties are, it would help those who want to act like a child throttle their actions in the future.

To tell you the truth this Nizzle guy is starting to wear on my patience and getting rid of the people that feed the troll will definitely ensure the thread can be given back to the guys/ladies who can act like decent human beings to the others who visit the thread.
There really isn't that much drama in beer drinking is there? :fro:

There are some great people that frequent the thread and it is nice to "pull up a seat" at your own discretion and join in the fray. As been said a multiple times, there is some great camaraderie among the people in the thread and, aside from the occasional person with histrionic personality disorder getting all crazy, it is a nice way to wind down a hectic day of work!

HoppyDaze said:
Cheapskate! How about just supporting those who provide the community you frequent? My app has never crashed. Get a new phone cheapy. Or I will kick your ass!!!!! :p

Was that a threat? ;)
And yes, I am cheap. Since you're obviously not, then buy me a premium membership. :p
To be serious, though, I wasn't saying a premium membership isn't worth it at all, just not to me. Some people have learned a lot and received a lot of help from this site. To them it has been a valuable resource and they feel like giving back. I didn't find this forum until years after I started brewing. So I never had to start a thread asking if my beer is ruined or something of the like. I find myself using mainly the drinking thread and a few others and not paying much attention to the technical threads. So, for me, the price of a premium membership isn't worth it as much as it might be for others. And if none of that makes since, there's always this:

image-1369058118.jpg

Back