Slimy Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I like to keep a carboy or bucket full of Iodophor solution, so I can just dip things in to sanitize. My question is, how long will this solution stay good for. An iodophor solution has that tint to it, but it fades after a week or so. Sometimes when I keep equipment in the bucket and they're in there for a couple of weeks, they come out with a slimy film on it and the solution is hazy. That almost makes me think there's an infection in it. Is that possible? Can a sanitizer solution lose it's sanitizing capability after time or after equipment has been soaked in it? How long will a solution last assuming it's covered most of the time?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm currently using idophor - you can't just leave a bucket of it and use it over days, I think it loses it's effectiveness in about a day, maybe less. I think there have been threads on this if you want to search.

Also, fyi, idophor is no rinse.

Cheers,

Jim

I like to keep a carboy or bucket full of Iodophor solution, so I can just dip things in to sanitize. My question is, how long will this solution stay good for.

Iodophor dies quickly, somewhere in the 8-24 hr range. Make it up and use it.

I use both Iodophor and Starsan; starsan w/distilled water in a spray bottle lasts a very long time. I don't use SS for everything because of its annoying slipperiness.

Back