Slime in boil and fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick562

Reaction score
I have done 3 all grains but, this was the first time i saw a film like slime on top of my boil. Also i can see it sticking to the side of my carboy. Im not to worried about it but i do want to know what it could be.

If it matters
6-pd 2-row
.75-chocolate
1-pd cara pills
.75-roasted barley
1-pd flaked barley

also my water is well water with high iron

What color is it? If it is green, it could be hops. Mine cake up pretty good on the sides of my pot. Also the hot break material will cake up the sides too.

It varies from grainbill to grainbill.

Wait til you boil wort from pilsner malt, it looks like egg drop soup.

DSC_8230.JPG

From how to brew;

A foam will start to rise and form a smooth surface. This is good. If the foam suddenly billows over the side, this is a boil-over (Bad). If it looks like it is going to boil over, either lower the heat or spray the surface with water from a spray bottle. The foam is caused by proteins in the wort that coagulate due to the rolling action of the boil. The wort will continue to foam until the protein clumps get heavy enough to sink back into the pot. You will see particles floating around in the wort. It may look like Egg Drop Soup. This is called the Hot break and may take 5-20 minutes to occur, depending on the amount of protein...

how timely, brewed my first pilsner yesterday. It was some ugly looking stuff in the kettle. Came out real cloudy. Hopefully missing my tempertures (stuck thermometer) didn't ruin it!

Latest posts

Back