Slightly low attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
Scotch ale, partial mash in a bag, OG 1.067. My mash water was hotter than expected for a bit, about 160 F, turns out I'm a moron with a thermometer. Pitched Safale S-04. The problem is, it's been in primary at 57 F for about 4 weeks and the gravity is 1.020. I was expecting it to get a bit lower, and the specs for S-04 seem to indicate it should go lower, 72% ish. So what do you think? Did the higher mash temp throw me off? Should I warm it up to give the yeast a kick? Or is it just done?

You're at 70% attenuation, which is pretty darn close to the 72% the yeast describes. Plus, scotch ale recipes generally have a fair quantity of unfermentables. Sounds like a normal ferment to me. :mug:

Thanks guys, I knew I was close. Maybe I should do one in a squeezer just to prevent bombs. That worked pretty well with my sweetened cider.

Latest posts

Back