slightly high OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehoppy

Reaction score
Just brewed a batch of Midwest simcoe ipa. It's supposed to have an OG of 1.065 but my water ended up slightly below 5 gal. and my OG reading was closer to 1.068. The kit came with a wyeast American ale smack pack. At this high of an OG should I add a little more yeast? just curious as the packs say they are good to 1.060???

The correct answer is you should make a starter. For liquid yeast it is good practice to make a starter for every beer. That way you know the yeast is healthy and you have plenty.

However, I assume you are a relative beginner and have never made a starter. With the beer in the fermenter, it is not the right time to learn.

Just pitch the pack. You will be under-pitching, and depending on how fresh the pack is, you could be under-pitching by a lot. It will make beer. It will probably take longer to start than you are used to; maybe 24 or 48 hours.

Chances are you will notice nothing, but some potential problems with under-pitching are; higher ester production, long lag time before starting, and higher final gravity.

FYI: 3 points gravity difference is basically nothing.

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

Look into making a yeast starter, find a method you like and stock with it. I do intermittent shaking since its simple.

I just had almost exactly that same problem with my last batch. I made sure I aerated very well, and it went just fine. Transferred today into the secondary, and the OG went down to 1.011, so the yeast did just fine. So yeah, don't worry, have a home brew!

Latest posts

Back