Slightly cool fermentation- around 50?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jump_xiii

Reaction score
I everyone, just checking something really- I started a brew on Sunday and once it got settled it has stayed at around 50-55 degrees at an estimate (my stick on thermometer is on my other bucket and the new one hasn't arrived yet so I'm improvising). The FV is in a water bath, with a heat belt and the temp has been pretty constant on top of the FV and the temp of the water in the water bath. The airlock is bubbling (quite slowly) and there is krausen so I think I'm ok, but just checking if I need to make any real effort to warm it up or just let it go low and slow...

Should I RDWHAHB (except for it being 7am here)?

I'm not sure if thats in C or F, lol. I'm assuming C. But if it is bubbling and a healthy krausen is there. It sounds ok. Take a reading and see where you are, that should tell you for sure.

50 C would be HOTT!

I'm in the uk but I know most of the guys on here are US, so I try to convert. It's about 10C, roughly 50F I reckon...

Thanks though.

It has only been 36 hours or so, so too early to pop the lid off for a reading I think.

Follow temps that are on yeast...

Are you doing an Ale or a Lager? For a lager 55f could be good :)

ReDim said:
Follow temps that are on yeast...

Are you doing an Ale or a Lager? For a lager 55f could be good :)

That's where we get stuck! Re pitched a washed yeast from previous brew- no name packet of yeast that came with canned hopped extract kit. Don't have the kit any more to check but I think it gave a range of 18 to 24c. It is an ale (both previous batch and this one- stout and bitter)

Cheers

Sounds like things are fine - you've got active fermentation. Yeast can tolerate a wide range of temps and as long as you pitched the proper amount of healthy yeast, you shouldn't have to worry at these temps. Of course,yeast-derived flavor is affected by temp. At your temps I would expect a cleaner, less ester-y (ie less fruity) flavor. You might get some sulphur production, but, if so, just give it enough time to off gas and you'll be set.

Thanks JLem,

I was sure I was worrying over nothing- I still suffer from NewBI (New Brewers' Insecurity).

I pitched what I think was a very healthy amount of yeast slurry from my previous batch so I'm confident that it will work out, but I appreciate you getting to what my question related to ie consequences such as flavour etc from low temp fermentation.

I figure on leaving it maybe 3 weeks in primary before bottle conditioning a further 3 weeks minimum anyway.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back