Slight vinegar/cider aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I brewed a ESB and used Wyeast 1968 London ESB. After 6 days in fermentation I checked the gravity (because I need to do D-Rest). I noticed a Slight vinegar/cider aroma, I tasted the sample and I didn't taste vinegar. Is this a part of Acetaldehyde? Or is a slight vinegar smell a bad sign?

Acetaldehyde is normal in beer that is still fermenting as it is an intermediate step for the yeast on the journey from wort to beer. People mostly describe it as green apple or cidery but some people perceive it as vinegar. It would be very unusual for you to get vinegar in the primary because the bacteria that produce it are aerobic, they need oxygen to survive and your beer should be covered in CO2. You can get it in secondary if you have a wide surface on your beer because there will only be the dissolved CO2 to provide the blanket and that may not be enough. That's why it's recommended to use a smaller secondary and fill it to the neck so you limit the space for the CO2 to fill.

I think you are right RM-MN. I checked the beer again to test for Diacetyl. I do not smell vinegar anymore.

Back