Slight soap flavor, first timer, any repairs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imx3

Reaction score
I brewed a brewers best American ipa, first brew for me. Followed instructions, pitched yeast (dry yeast, no markings on package) at 68, fermented 14 days at 65. Today I pulled a sample and I believe I have reached final gravity, sample has a slight soap flavor.

From what I understand it's from sitting on the trub to long and converting some to fatty acids?
I put it into a secondary with hopes getting it off the trub may help or at least keep it from getting worse.
Any things that can fix this or is it a good lesson learned?

It's not from sitting on the trub. 3 weeks or 4 weeks would not be to long. 14 days may not be long enough but is a minimum for me. Sitting on the trub would have no effect on off flavors after such a short period of time. I would concentrate more on possible cleaning procedures.

This was all new equip, I rinsed and sanatized with Star San.
The sample I tasted had some Star San in it since I used it in the test tube but that's not supposed to add off favors.

I recently brewed my first beer too and have the same situation. I've read certain hops add a 'soapy' note (cascade and centennial) and it may just need time for the flavors to develop. I also suspect in my case that I did not pitch enough yeast. So I'm curious, did you make a starter or just drop the yeast on top? Did you have a very active fermentation or did it seem kind of slow?

I recently brewed my first beer too and have the same situation. I've read certain hops add a 'soapy' note (cascade and centennial) and it may just need time for the flavors to develop. I also suspect in my case that I did not pitch enough yeast. So I'm curious, did you make a starter or just drop the yeast on top? Did you have a very active fermentation or did it seem kind of slow?
I hydrated the yeast per the instructions from the yeast manufacturer the just pitched on top. Fermentation started about 24 hrs later, was very active for about 3 days then died off to nothing about day 4/5. Held at 65 in fermentation chamber.

Not that you did anything wrong but, I always long soak and scrub new equipment in PBW. Then rinse hot several times followed by a star san rinse. Star San will sanitize but isn't a stand alone cleaner. New equipment can be pretty dirty.

Not that you did anything wrong but, I always long soak and scrub new equipment in PBW. Then rinse hot several times followed by a star san rinse. Star San will sanitize but isn't a stand alone cleaner. New equipment can be pretty dirty.

Understand, I was just doing what the local shop told me to do. I have it already racked to secondary so Ill give it a week and see how it is.

Thanks,
Ed

Cascades and Centennials sometimes do lend a "soapy" quality to the flavor of the beer - something I really enjoy. Only until after the beer is carbonated and ready to drink will you really know if something is "off" (some exceptions, but generally is my experience).

When I brewed my first three batches of beer, I bought a pound of Cascade hops to supplement my extract IPA kits. All three batches had a weird "soapy" taste to them. A friend or two confirmed. I was very disappointed in how they turned out.

The next batch, I did not use any of those hops and flavor went away. I attributed it to the hops, and dumped the last ~half pound. Since then, I've used other suppliers/brands of Cascade and haven't had a problem since. Must have been a bad batch.

I also had a soapy flavor when dry hopping with centennial, wasnt a fan of it and it didnt seem to mellow to much over time.

My experiences with wine have shown me that too much live yeast in the mix will give you a somewhat soapy kind of flavor... but if you give it time, this goes away as the yeast settles out. If the beer is already in the bottles, I'd just park them for another week or two.

Then again, this advice is probably worth just what you paid for it.

Kegged this morning and tasted another sample, most of the soapy flavor is gone. I'm not even sure I taste it at all now. I'm force carbing so I'll get a taste tomorrow.

I got soapy flavors in an oatmeal stout I made that sat on trub for roughly 6 weeks. I think the temps got slightly in the mid 70's after primary which may have attributed to the soapy flavors. Everything I've read said soapy flavors come from sitting on trub for too long.

I've never heard that....Soapy flavor results from a combination of certain types of hops combined with your water - changing your water with some salts can fix it. Also unmalted (flaked) barley sometimes results in a soapy flavor. This is my experience at any rate.

Back