American IPA Slick Brewing Mandarina IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Nice refreshing IPA with just enough hop bite and citrus notes! Light bodied and great for drinking on a warm spring/summer day
5 gallon BIAB
70% efficiency

4.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 40.9%
4.5 lb United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 40.9%
1 lb American - White Wheat 40 2.8 9.1%
1 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 40L 34 40 9.1%

0.5 oz Citra Pellet 12 Boil 60 min 23.22
0.2 oz Nelson Sauvin Pellet 11.4 Boil 15 min 4.38
0.2 oz Citra Pellet 12 Boil 15 min 4.61
0.2 oz Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 7.3 Boil 15 min 2.8
0.2 oz Nelson Sauvin Pellet 11.4 Boil 10 min 3.2
0.2 oz Citra Pellet 12 Boil 10 min 3.37
0.2 oz Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 7.3 Boil 10 min 2.05
0.2 oz Nelson Sauvin Pellet 11.4 Boil 5 min 1.76
0.2 oz Citra Pellet 12 Boil 5 min 1.85
0.2 oz Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 7.3 Boil 5 min 1.13
0.35 oz Nelson Sauvin Pellet 11.4 Dry Hop 5 days
0.35 oz Citra Pellet 12 Dry Hop 5 days
0.35 oz Mandarina Bavaria Pellet 7.3 Dry Hop 5 days

Yeast US-05

Used all Reverse Osmosis water but you could use all distilled water and build up the profile from there.

I pulled this water profile from the following reddit post (this was added to the boil at 60 minutes and not in the mash)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/1nfq05/water_profile_build_part_1_in_search_of_the/

Ca 79.1

Mg 2.5

Na 15.2

Cl 49.1

SO4 153.6

5.5 grams gypsum
1 gram epsom salt
1 gram table salt
1.5 grams calcium chloride

I also made the following additions

2 grams yeast nutrient at 10 minutes left in the boil
Whirlfloc 10 minutes

Also I rehydrated the us-05 prior to pitching

I mashed at 155F for 60 min to help let the malt sweeten this up just a tad. Also I fermented at 66f for 7 days and brought the temp up to 68f. After 14 days total I added the dry hops to the primary and let sit for another 5 days. Racked to the bottling bucket and carb'd somewhere in the ballpark of 2.4-2.6 volumes of co2. Everyone that has tried this has loved it and even a fellow homebrewer for 15 years was begging for this recipe after the first bottle! It's a hit! Brew on and above all ENJOY!

Attachments

• 20180516_192813.jpg
    20180516_192813.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Awesome--last weekend I tried an all Mandarina IPA from a local brewery and decided to make one of my own. I'll play with this recipe--I'm not sure if I want to go 100% Mandarina or if I want to try adding some others.

The great thing about homebrew is you can brew what YOU like :) Yeah don't know if I'd do a straight manderina IPA. Like the way the Nelson came through though. The white wine flavor really played well with the citra and mandarina

I've never used that hop personally but it sounds like you may be able to sub out nelson with blanc just from the description from ych hops. Now I'm going to have to brew a blonde with only blanc hops to try them out!

Me neither! I was leaning on doing just the Mandarina before, but I think a blend might turn out better. I don't have any Citra on hand so I might get some before I brew this.

I was originally going to bitter with Nelson but the LHBS was out. A brewmaster from a local brewery was in the shop and recommended bittering with Citra and boy it turned out really good! I already had an oz of Nelson left over from a previous brew so was able to still use that for flavor/aroma/dry hop

Dropped by the local home brew store and let the owner have a taste. His eyes lit up and he was VERY impressed! Meant a good bit coming from someone that has medaled at comps :) This is now a crowd favorite and is getting brewed again in 2-3 weeks. Would be sooner but I just brewed the blue moon clone try #3 last night so have to wait for it to finish fermenting. This brew is the one and honestly I wouldn't change a thing. Perfect as is!

I have to say this sounds bit like false advertising. Both citra and Nelson have more impact than mandarina in my experience.

Im sure its delicious. Just saying it seems like you’re burying the lede here with mandarina being the name vs citra or nelson.

Although to be fair, considering the cost of nel$on these days id probably not publicize that either.....

Honestly I didn't have a name for it so just used one of the hops that were in the brew in the name. I will say that the mandarina was very noticeable for the first 3-4 weeks in the bottles and have mellowed a bit now at week 5. Two different people without any knowledge of the brew, two separate bottles, said they tasted tangerine on the backnote (which was in line with the mandarina bavaria aroma/flavor). Definite not false advertising! Brew it and you'll see :)

thats actually pretty shocking. i havent used it with nelson, but every time i have used it, it seems much more moderate in intensity vs nelson or citra. the one time it went in with citra there were a few other hops in there as well so hard to say, but at no point did it ever seem to me like it was a standout hop that stood up in front of the others. we have quite a few "citrus" mixes we play with, and its been left out of most of them.

maybe they got a really good crop year this time. think the last time i had them was crop year 2015 or so. might need to revisit if its come back up in quality. any idea what crop year you have?

Unfortunately I do not know the crop year. I will say that everything blended together nicely and it's a well balanced brew. Very crushable

Took this to the parade on Friday and let the pipe band give it a try. Got the thumbs up from an Admiral, experienced brewers, and pipers/drummers alike! They were begging for more! Hitting up the LHBS this Friday to see if they have the hops for this brew again! If not I'll be ordering some and brewing this next go around. Anywho this was a HUGE hit and definitely a keeper :) I will say the mandarina has completely faded now but that's ok! Still a darn good brew! Taking the last bit down a little further south at the end of the month to let some of the other pipe band give her a taste.

Just put in the grain order at the LHBS for this. Brewing it again tomorrow :)

Enjoying another one of these puppies tonight :)

Attachments

• 20180613_211528.jpg
    20180613_211528.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180613_211518.jpg
    20180613_211518.jpg
    780.6 KB · Views: 112
How quickly do you chill your wort?
My CFC can drop a 5gal batch from boil to 75f in about 5 minutes, but with all the late additions here, they may be benefiting from a slower chill.

How quickly do you chill your wort?
My CFC can drop a 5gal batch from boil to 75f in about 5 minutes, but with all the late additions here, they may be benefiting from a slower chill.

I'll toss the brew kettles in an ice bath. Usually I let them sit at 30 min for an ale (gets down to around 60ish F) but if it's a lager sometimes I'll add more ice over time to get it into the low/mid 50's F and let that sit for an hour

Latest posts

Back