Skunky smell/taste right out of the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I brewed an all grain amber and when I bottled it today I tasted the sample and it was skunky smelling and tasted like old beer.
My hop schedule was
.5 warrior 60 min
.5 cascade 60 min
1.0 amarillo 0 min

Yeast was US-05
Fermented in the mid 60's for a week then aged at about 70 for 2 more weeks.

OG was 7 points low because I didn't boil off enough, but the FG was dead on, 1.009.

I put the whirlfloc tab in at the beginning of the boil instead of the end, is that bad?

The cascade hops I used were pretty old, the rest were really fresh.
Can old hops impart an off flavor?

While in the fermenter it saw little to no light the whole time, the last 2 brews I made were highly hopped IPA's, they saw more light than this brew ever did, and they tasted amazing. So I don't think that light causing the hops to skunk are the reason for this problem.

Any idea what this could be from???
and is it something I can expect to age out?

Depending on how the cascade hops were stored, yes, they can give bad flavors if they are stale. If they weren't vacuum sealed, it could be the problem.

They weren't fresh when I got them a while back, but when I got them I vacuum sealed them with an oxygen absorber inside, and froze them.
They were turning yellowish but didn't smell bad.

The wort smelled and tasted great when I added it to the fermenter, if that tells anything.

Light struck off-flavors can often be confused with simple sulfur compounds that are produced as normal parts of fermentation. With some more time, things will likely improve. How old is the beer?

Whirflock goes in near the end of the boil,not the beginning. It might've been rendered pretty usueless boiling that long. Not sure about flavor. The old hops would def be part of it.

The beer is 3 weeks old, hopefully is does age good.
Yea I realized my mistake with the whirlfloc soon after doing it.

I tried one after 5 days and that bad taste and smell is completely gone, not a bad beer, just isn't carbonated enough yet lol.
I'd go with sulfur compounds as the reason for that taste/smell.

Back