Skeeter Pee

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certain this was mentioned somewhere in this thread and I sincerely apologize if I'm repeating. Very sorry. Would a cake from a hard cider fermented with a saison yeast be a sufficient slurry to use ? Really would like to try my hand at the pee. Thanks
It should work. The dead yeast in the slurry will help with the nutrients, but you will still need to add yeast nutrient. I would wait until the fermentation is active before adding the 2nd bottle of lemon juice, then wait another day or two before adding the third.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've personally never reused yeast; I just make a starter with 2 yeast packets, a few cups of water, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of lemon juice with nutrient and energizer.

Dadof5

Reaction score
I've considered that since the fruit in my slurry will effect the finished color of the sp. How long do you let your starter work before adding it?

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
So. I have made skeeter pee many times. I can give you my whole process if you want, but I normally ferment in a converted wine fridge with a homemade temp controller. This is done at 62-65F. I use EC1118 yeast, that I start in .25 to .5 Gal white grape juice and rack the juice off.

I am about to make a new batch, with lots of extra fruit. Additionally, a co-worker wants me to make a batch for his wedding - on a short time scale. My fermentation fridge can only hold a 5gal carboy or 7.9 gal bucket. So I am thinking of doing a split batch, 10 gallons into 2 carboys. One will ferment outside the fridge. This means either 72-76% temps or a tub and ice packs (not a fan of this).

The Lalvin spec sheet for this yeast says the optimum temp is 57-64F with a max of 86F. Do you think mid 70s (or a bit higher due to the heat the yeast generates) will cause a lot of off flavors with this yeast?

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So. I have made skeeter pee many times. I can give you my whole process if you want, but I normally ferment in a converted wine fridge with a homemade temp controller. This is done at 62-65F. I use EC1118 yeast, that I start in .25 to .5 Gal white grape juice and rack the juice off.

I am about to make a new batch, with lots of extra fruit. Additionally, a co-worker wants me to make a batch for his wedding - on a short time scale. My fermentation fridge can only hold a 5gal carboy or 7.9 gal bucket. So I am thinking of doing a split batch, 10 gallons into 2 carboys. One will ferment outside the fridge. This means either 72-76% temps or a tub and ice packs (not a fan of this).

The Lalvin spec sheet for this yeast says the optimum temp is 57-64F with a max of 86F. Do you think mid 70s (or a bit higher due to the heat the yeast generates) will cause a lot of off flavors with this yeast?
I ferment my wine in my basement, and the ambient temperature is usually in the low to mid 70's, which is pretty good for Tennessee in the summer by the way. I have never had any off-flavor issues with Skeeter Pee.

rusty160

Reaction score
I have my first batch of SP fermenting now. I've been reading about how others have back sweetened and flavored their SP and was wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid bottles of Mio flavoring used for bottled water. Seems like a good alternative with alot of flavor options to choose from.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid bottles of Mio flavoring used for bottled water. Seems like a good alternative with alot of flavor options to choose from.
I’ve used all sorts of things like unsweetened Kool-Aid, etc. Can’t see Mio being much different.

One thing I’d recommend though is *not* flavoring the batch. Just back-sweeten and leave it be. That way you can try all sorts of things. My absolute favorite is “Luxardo Cherries”. Add one or two cherries to your glass with a touch of their syrup and you have a high-class cocktail.

If you’ve never tried Luxardo the experience is good and bad. Good in that it’s got more flavor than what gets sold as Marascino these days and you will wonder why you’ve wasted your time and tastebuds all these years. Bad in that you will NEED these in your cabinet as a permanent staple and they are not cheap! Keep them away from the kids!