Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm certain this was mentioned somewhere in this thread and I sincerely apologize if I'm repeating. Very sorry. Would a cake from a hard cider fermented with a saison yeast be a sufficient slurry to use ? Really would like to try my hand at the pee. Thanks

It should work. The dead yeast in the slurry will help with the nutrients, but you will still need to add yeast nutrient. I would wait until the fermentation is active before adding the 2nd bottle of lemon juice, then wait another day or two before adding the third.

I've considered that since the fruit in my slurry will effect the finished color of the sp. How long do you let your starter work before adding it?

So. I have made skeeter pee many times. I can give you my whole process if you want, but I normally ferment in a converted wine fridge with a homemade temp controller. This is done at 62-65F. I use EC1118 yeast, that I start in .25 to .5 Gal white grape juice and rack the juice off.

I am about to make a new batch, with lots of extra fruit. Additionally, a co-worker wants me to make a batch for his wedding - on a short time scale. My fermentation fridge can only hold a 5gal carboy or 7.9 gal bucket. So I am thinking of doing a split batch, 10 gallons into 2 carboys. One will ferment outside the fridge. This means either 72-76% temps or a tub and ice packs (not a fan of this).

The Lalvin spec sheet for this yeast says the optimum temp is 57-64F with a max of 86F. Do you think mid 70s (or a bit higher due to the heat the yeast generates) will cause a lot of off flavors with this yeast?

So. I have made skeeter pee many times. I can give you my whole process if you want, but I normally ferment in a converted wine fridge with a homemade temp controller. This is done at 62-65F. I use EC1118 yeast, that I start in .25 to .5 Gal white grape juice and rack the juice off.

I am about to make a new batch, with lots of extra fruit. Additionally, a co-worker wants me to make a batch for his wedding - on a short time scale. My fermentation fridge can only hold a 5gal carboy or 7.9 gal bucket. So I am thinking of doing a split batch, 10 gallons into 2 carboys. One will ferment outside the fridge. This means either 72-76% temps or a tub and ice packs (not a fan of this).

The Lalvin spec sheet for this yeast says the optimum temp is 57-64F with a max of 86F. Do you think mid 70s (or a bit higher due to the heat the yeast generates) will cause a lot of off flavors with this yeast?

I ferment my wine in my basement, and the ambient temperature is usually in the low to mid 70's, which is pretty good for Tennessee in the summer by the way. I have never had any off-flavor issues with Skeeter Pee.

I have my first batch of SP fermenting now. I've been reading about how others have back sweetened and flavored their SP and was wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid bottles of Mio flavoring used for bottled water. Seems like a good alternative with alot of flavor options to choose from.

was wondering if anyone has tried using the liquid bottles of Mio flavoring used for bottled water. Seems like a good alternative with alot of flavor options to choose from.
I’ve used all sorts of things like unsweetened Kool-Aid, etc. Can’t see Mio being much different.

One thing I’d recommend though is *not* flavoring the batch. Just back-sweeten and leave it be. That way you can try all sorts of things. My absolute favorite is “Luxardo Cherries”. Add one or two cherries to your glass with a touch of their syrup and you have a high-class cocktail.

If you’ve never tried Luxardo the experience is good and bad. Good in that it’s got more flavor than what gets sold as Marascino these days and you will wonder why you’ve wasted your time and tastebuds all these years. Bad in that you will NEED these in your cabinet as a permanent staple and they are not cheap! Keep them away from the kids!

It's been at least a decade since I have made skeeter pee. I plan to use the original recipe with reduced back sweetening.

Is anyone else thinking 2 1/3 lbs is over the top on back sweetening? Maybe a 1 1/2 lbs?

posting this for my reference on a starter - it's worked well in the past w/ Lalvin EC-1118 Dry Wine Yeast

(IQWine posted this on the winemakingtalk site in 2010)
1. Clean and sterile a quart jar
2. 4-8 oz of warm water. use a thermometer and pitch at 90 degrees or so
3. 1 tsp sugar and add a pinch of nutrient (stir)
4. pitch yeast and cover with towel
5. let stand undisturbed for 15-30 min
6. you should see good action by now
7. stir gently -- it's a new baby yeast
8. let stand 15-30 min
9. introduce the must to the yeast starter by adding no more than 1/2 the volume you have the yeast in ( if U have 8 oz. add 4 oz now)
10. let stand 30 min
11. add 1/2 the volume again ( so now 6 oz)
12 recover with towel each time
13 after a few hours U will have at least 1 quart of a vigorous starter.
14. very important to have a warm must ( I try for 75-80 degrees, probably closer to 80) so to not have the difference of the starter temp and the must temp to be not further than 10 degrees difference to shock the yeast

Ahem, I am going to invite the condemnation of the masses by asking this, but the original link is dead. Wait for it...

Does anyone have the basic recipe for Skeeter Pee?
Skeeter Pee Recipe :)

I think that's too much sugar at the end when you backsweeten it, but I don't remember how much I used. Just don't add it all at once; you can always add more.

Question: I have Wyeast yeast nutrient, it says 1/2 tsp/5gal. Do I follow that or add 3tsp x2 ?
I don't remember how much yeast nutrient you need, but it's a *lot* more than 1/2 tsp. I would use something like Fermax, it has more to it than just DAP and maybe a little urea (that's why it's tan instead of white). Or use the Wyeast in addition to cheap yeast nutrient that's mostly DAP. This is basically just a sugar wash except the pH is really low, there's no nutrition for the yeast except the sugar, plus you're fighting a little bit of preservatives.

I was able to find out what's in it finally: Wyeast beer nutrient minerals
It has a bunch of minerals even at a low dose, but they didn't say the exact amount of nitrogen it provides... but too much is toxic for yeast anyway.
I think i'll throw in some bread yeast in the boil as well, that should provide anything missing.

I made a skeeter starter, I poured in 2 packs of expired lalvin yeast, 150ml of sugar, a gram of organic yeast nutrient and water up to a total volume of 2liters. I start the whole batch in a day or two. The starter smells nasty while fermenting.

Maybe I'll add zest after fermentation to have more lemon flavor.

Basically what I did. On a side note I followed the recipe, but it’s on the sweet side. A splash more of lemon juice and it becomes awesome. Also did dragon’s blood and not sure what it needs…

When you back-sweeten you get more flavor/aroma for some weird reason. Also "smelling nasty" is indicative of "rhino farts." If it's still got a rotten egg smell after fermentation, rack it through a copper tube or through a copper scrubby.

When you back-sweeten you get more flavor/aroma for some weird reason. Also "smelling nasty" is indicative of "rhino farts." If it's still got a rotten egg smell after fermentation, rack it through a copper tube or through a copper scrubby.
it's not nasty like that. I would describe it like a mild vomit. I'm familiar with it on some cheap brews (kilju) I've made.

How many lemons (as zest) would be good? Added after fermentation. It's a 5 gal batch.
No idea, honestly.

I think anything that goes in the beverage will get somewhat subdued by natural processes. If you want "a fresh" aroma, save those lemons for garnish when you serve it. Another favorite of mine is a Luxardo cherry ... yum!

Did you back-sweeten?

Forget to strain the skeeters out?
I have back sweetened. It finished fermenting a month ago. It just the flavor and smell is the opposite of how some people have described it. Many people tell that it's delicious. It tastes like hooch. I hope 3-6 months can take care of it, if not, at least I can make punch from it.

What yeast, how did you prep, etc? Yeast is the number one determination of success here. That high acid, as well as sorbates in the juice, make it challenging.

Lalvin QA23. No sorbates in the juice, just sulfite. I made a starter with 2 old packs of qa23 and used organic lemon juice and sugar (S.G between 1.080-90). I let that ferment to dry, then I added it to a larger batch of skeeter, with juice containing k-meta. I used 1 liter of juice during the fermentation, I also added calcium carbonate to raise the ph to 3 or above. I added rest of the juice after fermentation (something like 2.8l of lemon juice in a total volume of 18l). I fermented it to 11% and now it's 9.5 to 10%

I think this is normal and it just needs time to age out.

Did you use any nutrients? A Sugar wash needs a lot of nutrients. You should not have used anything to change the pH. You should have just put 1/4-1/3 of the lemon in ad add the rest after fermenting.

When I had added the juice, I measured the ph of the must and it was 2.8 or lower. My ph strips range is from 2.8 to 4.2. I added chalk to raise the ph for a problem free fermentation. I don't like to ferment something with that low ph,

Yes, I used nutrients. I have a DAP based energizer/nutrient and an organic nutrient (basically fermaid o), but from a different manufacturer. I added 5 grams of both, before I pitched the starter. I also added 3,5 grams of DAP the next day.

It's actually gotten better, than it was a week and 2 weeks ago, so I think it will be ok in 2 months. It's just very acidic and can easily give heartburn. I think it will be good in cocktails and in punch.

It really doesn’t matter if you use the instructions then it works. Lemonade is supposed to have low pH

Well, there are multiple instructions not just one. I don't like to brew anything with a ph of under 3, it can stall, I rather play it safe.

Chalk doesn't produce wine diamonds with citric acid, so that is not an issue for pee. Potassium (bi)carbonate, it would be better and can be used after fermentation.

The first time you make something, you should follow the original recipe so if you have questions we have a reference. Glad it’s getting better.

Back