Skeeter pee - hold the tannins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisL_

Reaction score
I am interested in making a batch of skeeter pee but am curious about the tannins. I am not at al all a wine drinker and I think that is mostly due to the dryness, which I understand is a result of the tannins. I was wondering if anyone has made skeeter pee without using the tannins? I am guessing it would turn out more like a hard lemon aid with the being "too winey".

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts from the wine pros, could it be too sweet with at least some tannins to balance it a bit.
Maybe a reduced amount of tannins?

Probably come out a little bland....give it a shot it's cheap to make.

I agree it would be a bit bland. Tannins Help to balance our the tart and sweet flavors from the lemon and back sweetening. However I do not use grape tannin or any tannin extract for that matter. I substitute that for 1TBS of Black tea that is dumped into the primary. It still infuses plenty of tannin quality without having too much bitter added.

If you really want to make a batch with no tannin then make a second with tannin. If you like one over the other I am sure there is someone you know that will be happy to finish off the other. All SP is to die for and is hard to beat.

Tannin may best be thought of as "salt" in wine ... at least in my limited experience. You can;t really taste those small additions but you can taste when they are not there.

I think it also might help with clearing? I have two very similar batches of mead one with and one without and the one with definitely cleared faster.

For those that have had skeeter pee, does it really taste like a wine, or it is more just technically called wine as it is fermented fruit (well sort of)?

If you really want to make a batch with no tannin then make a second with tannin. If you like one over the other I am sure there is someone you know that will be happy to finish off the other. All SP is to die for and is hard to beat.
True enuogh, I am sure I could find someone to take the batch if I don't like it, but accumulating enough bottles could be an issue. Pending answers to my question above, maybe I will do 2 half batches.

Thanks,

Chris

For those that have had skeeter pee, does it really taste like a wine, or it is more just technically called wine as it is fermented fruit (well sort of)?
It tastes like Mike's hard lemonade would if Mike was a real man.

Seriously, it's not a wine (I guess it technically is but tastes nothing like one).

It tastes like Mike's hard lemonade would if Mike was a real man.

Seriously, it's not a wine (I guess it technically is but tastes nothing like one).

LOL. Thanks for the feedback. In that case, maybe I will just do a full batch with the tannin and see what happens. At 10-11% I am guessing I wont be able to taste the 3rd or 4th one anyway:drunk:

LOL. Thanks for the feedback. In that case, maybe I will just do a full batch with the tannin and see what happens. At 10-11% I am guessing I wont be able to taste the 3rd or 4th one anyway:drunk:

Lemme tell ya it goes down way to easy. I like it cold in a big tall glass of ice.

Tannin is cheap and does add to the overall flavor of the skeeter pee. I agree with the other comments, it tastes NOTHING like wine. As a matter of fact if you sweeten it just right it really does not taste like there is any alcohol in it at all. Of course after you drink a few glasses you realize that it truly does have around 9-10 ABV in it!

Back