size of stirbar needed for yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mauer_62

Reaction score
i have just completed my dyi stir plate and need to purchase flask and stir bar. my software is calling for a 1.4l yeast starter. i have planed on purchasing a 2000 ml flask and wonder what size would be needed to properly mix the starter

One inch is fine. Too big and it will be thrown off the magnet.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like 1 inch also. It all depends on the power of stir plate

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Was listening to a podcast where they said a 1" stir bar should be fine for really big stir plates, though it might take longer to get going, and how the smaller ones will always put less stress on the motor.

I like 1 inch also. It all depends on the power of stir plate

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

So I ran into a dilemma last week and am wondering if anyone can help me fix my problem. I changed the power supply on my stir plate because the original one was a tad weak. Now every time I start up my stir plate it throws the stir bar off center, hence it's not stirring. Anything I can do, other than swapping the PS back, to keep my stir bar centered?

You got too much power captain. Try raising the flask up a little higher to reduce force on the bar. You could use a stack of paper or anything in between the flask and the plate to get the right height. You don't have to go nuts with the speed. Just get it moving. Insert Steve Carell comment ::here::

You got too much power captain. Try raising the flask up a little higher to reduce force on the bar. You could use a stack of paper or anything in between the flask and the plate to get the right height. You don't have to go nuts with the speed. Just get it moving. Insert Steve Carell comment ::here::

Thanks TDL. I'll give that a try tonight when I get home. Going to be making a few starters over then next couple of weeks to harvest some more yeast as my supply has gotten low, mostly because I have gotten lazy and not been pouring off a little each time I brew but I digress.

Back