Siphoning Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
Well, based on all the glowing reviews at Midwest Supplies, I brewed a batch of pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving. It is in my fermentor bucket with spigot. When I went to check on it, I saw a huge sediment layer that extends well above the spigot. I am wondering now how to transfer it into my priming bucket for bottling.

I don't want to disturb the sediment but can't use the spigot like usual. Should I just start draining until the sediment is gone? I am told I'll only get around 4gal or so from a pumpkin ale brew. Maybe this is why!

Sounds like you're fermenting in a bottling bucket? I use an auto-siphon to transfer from my fermenter and it works great.

My last batch was the same pumpkin ale and with the auto-siphon I could rack from above all of the sediment (and there was a lot)!

I bottled this 3 weeks ago now. I siphoned to my bottling bucket. No auto-siphon for me though! I started mine the old fashioned way. And I lost just about the same amount, bottled right about 4 gallons out of a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for all the great info. I guess the answer was obvious! I bought a racking cane, some tubing and a hose clamp so the path is clear!

I did a double batch and was only left with about 7 gallons, next time I think I'll add more top off water.

Back