Siphoning/Bottling without Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hi there,

Saturday I will bottle my second batch of homebrew (it is done since 10 days as hydrometer confirmed but I decided to let it go a little longer for a total of 4 weeks of primary)

This time I want to do secondary fermentation directly in the bottles (last time I did it on barrel) the thing is that the bucket does not have a spigot, this means I would need to do the bottling with a siphon and to do that I have to keep the bucket open.

Would that be a problem? (off flavors, infection etc?)

Personally I don`t think so as I read many people do for example primary without an airlock, but I appreciate your views on this.

Thanks

Well,I built my bottling bucket with a grommeted lid in case I needed a secondary or something. But I did want a lid that'd cover most of the top of the bucket with the racking tube in it to cut down nasties settling into it at that point. When I put it up on the fermenter stand with my bottling wand/tuber assembly,I use the airlock cap over the grommet hole to keep bugs out. that way,it can draw air to allow free flow of the beer within so as not to creat a partial vacuum that'd slow it down.

I have left my bottling bucket uncovered while bottling with no problems before. But you could always just cover around the auto siphon with a sanitized peice of aluminum foil.

Back