Single temp infusion for Belgian Strong Golden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
I'm just curious if there are huge differences in flavor, aroma, fermentability ect if a simple infusion is used instead of a step mash for a Belgian Strong Golden. Thoughts?

I guess no one brews these? I know someone had some knowledge on this..

I hoped someone with more expertise would weigh in. I've brewed Dubbels, and a recipe that was intended to clone Rare Vos, but ended up a Belgian Strong. These beers have been well received, and were made with single infusion mashes.
There are a couple of experienced brewers of Belgian styles over on the BeerBorg Forum (Mashani and Big Papa G). Following their advice has helped me.

I love these beers. I try to keep one on tap .But I don't really have to much knowledge on different ways to brew them. I'm currently on a cooler mash run and thinking of stepping up to a herms or rims system. So I have only done a single step infusion.

You won't notice a difference in flavor with a step mash, unless you're doing decoctions. Same with aroma. What you get out of step mashing is fermentability and sometimes mouthfeel, clarity, head formation/retention.

Certain types of Pilsner malt are undermodified and require step mashing to get the kind of fermentability that a beer like a Golden Strong needs. If you go with your standard German or Belgian Pilsner malt, chances are you don't need to step mash. A 90 minute mash at a low temperature like 148F will get you high fermentability.

That being said, it still won't hurt to do a step mash. Personally, I'm about 50/50 step mash/single infusion on my Belgians. Honestly, I can't tell if there is a difference (each style is so different), but I follow the recipe and the beer always comes out great. If you're on a cooler mash tun like woo_pig and I am on, you can use boiling water infusions to raise your mash temperature, only tiny problem being that you have to start with a fairly thick mash, around 1 qt/lb, especially if you intend on doing a mash-out.

This is a good mash temperature calculator from Brewer's Friend. Put in your mash details and your first rest temperature, then scroll to the lower portion of the calculator and input your desired temperatures and it'll tell you how much boiling water to add. I use it and hit the numbers every time. It uses John Palmer's equations so you it comes from a reliable source.

"you can use boiling water infusions to raise your mash temperature, only tiny problem being that you have to start with a fairly thick mash, around 1 qt/lb, especially if you intend on doing a mash-out."

I wondered about this too. Do you just add hot/boiling water to raise the temperature, but then again, with each additional water addition, it changes the mash thickness. How does this effect the mash and final outcome.
Years ago, I would mash my wheats in a 6 gallon stainless brewpot. I would put the mash on the stove and raise the temp until I had the temp I wanted, remove from the heat, wrap in a blanket to convert and then reraise the temp for the next step ect. It worked well albeit it was kinda crude. I did however notice a HUGE difference in my weizens..much better head, flavor ect as was mentioned. But now I mash in a home depot orange drink cooler. I guess I can figure this out. I just wanted to know what expectations I could have given other experiences. Please comment if you have knowledge on this subject!

Yeah, you add boiling water to the mash and stir it up. That calculator I posted will tell you how much boiling water you need to hit the temperature, and the resulting mash thickness from adding the water. As for the mash thickness and it's impact on the mash, as long as it isn't way up in the 2+qt/lb range, it shouldn't have that much of an impact on the behavior or performance of the mash. At least, it hasn't with my mashes. I hit my numbers and get the fermentability I wanted, but I always shoot for around 1.5 qt/lb as my final mash thickness.

I'm just curious if there are huge differences in flavor, aroma, fermentability ect if a simple infusion is used instead of a step mash for a Belgian Strong Golden. Thoughts?

I have brewed many BGSAs with a single infusion at 148 for 90 min. I have compared that to step mashes and found no improvement with a step mash.

I love this style and have brewed it quite a bit with results that people seem to really enjoy. I was mashing in an Igloo cooler, however... Now with a Brew Boss setup I can (and plan to do) step mashes. I will have first-hand knowledge fairly soon!

If my old brain can remember - I'll post back results.

I've done single infusion with quite a few Belgian style beers and I find that my attenuation is definitely good enough but there's a lack of body. I'm thinking of trying step mashes to beef them up a bit.

I've done single infusion with quite a few Belgian style beers and I find that my attenuation is definitely good enough but there's a lack of body. I'm thinking of trying step mashes to beef them up a bit.

You don't think it has anything to do with your mash temp? Can you have a low temp mash like 146-148 and still have body that feels fuller?

You don't think it has anything to do with your mash temp? Can you have a low temp mash like 146-148 and still have body that feels fuller?

I've tried a few different temps from 64C to 67C but they don't seem to quite hit the nail on the head. I've tried it with quite a few yeasts too over around 30 brews over the last 2-3 years.

It's good for some styles like Saisons where you want a bone dry finish and not all that far off for a golden strong but there's that little bit of sweet malt character missing.

I guess if the step mash wasn't necessary, they wouldn't do it, but they do. Well I will give the first brew a shot at maybe 150? I don't want bone dry, but I do want a highly fermentable wort.

With a BGS in the 7.5-10.5% ABV, a low temperature mash really won't present as a bone dry finish because it just has so much dang alcohol. And not sure what your recipe is looking like, but big wads of sugar adjunct will drive down your FG (almost) regardless of your mash temp...

You can make a dandy tripel or BGS with something as simple as:

10-12 lbs pilsner (mash 148)
2-3 lbs sugar
Hops are on you...

I guess if the step mash wasn't necessary, they wouldn't do it, but they do. Well I will give the first brew a shot at maybe 150? I don't want bone dry, but I do want a highly fermentable wort.

There are many things that commercial breweries do that don't relate to what homebrewers need to do.

True Denny..

I was figuring on using 10 lbs of Pilsner and maybe a couple pounds of white wheat, but I could omit that and save it for a saison. I always add a pound of sugar to my saisons so upping to 2 pounds here is no problem. Keeping it simple is good. Are EKG still typical? I have EKG, Hallertau, Saaz ect but no Styrians or Spalt. EKG should be ok I should think.

True Denny..

I was figuring on using 10 lbs of Pilsner and maybe a couple pounds of white wheat, but I could omit that and save it for a saison. I always add a pound of sugar to my saisons so upping to 2 pounds here is no problem. Keeping it simple is good. Are EKG still typical? I have EKG, Hallertau, Saaz ect but no Styrians or Spalt. EKG should be ok I should think.

Any of those will be fine. When I brew one, I just look through my hop stash and use whatever noble hop is in the best shape.

Latest posts

Back