Single Hop Experiment kits - $14-18 at Amazon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolina_Matt

Reaction score
There are a bunch of different Single Hop Experiment kits for cheap on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_...9a3ba85995f9faef0b4c8762e8f3f3&language=en_US

They're MoreBeer kits, but sold by a different vendor that seems to be blowing them out. I bought a Williamette and Chinook kit before they went back up over $40, but there are plenty from $13.85 and up.

From what I saw on MoreBeer, each kit comes with 10 lbs of 2-row, 12 oz of Crystal 15L, 0.5 oz of Magnum, a Whirlfloc tablet, and 6 ounces of whichever hop you pick. At these prices, it's cheaper than buying the ingredients in bulk.

I'll brew the Chinook as-is, but convert the Williamette to Jamil's Blonde Ale recipe (with 5 ounces of hops leftover).

Edited to add: I just bought the last Ron Mexico kit for $17.18. MoreBeer is selling it for $51.99. I've never tried that hop, but it looks like it's either out of stock everywhere, or it's about $5/ounce.

Last edited:
At the moment, the only kit left at the deal is the Whole Centennial Single Hop Experiment for $17.26. I ordered a number of these kits last week for between $12 and $14. I was pleasantly surprised to receive in each: 10# Briess Brewer's Malt 1.8L, 12 oz Great Western 15L Crystal, 6 oz of the stated hop the kit is named for (in 2 oz bags), .5 oz Magnum hops, a whirfloc tablet, and 4 oz of priming sugar. These are MoreBeer kits. You need to jump on these NOW if you want them, there were a couple dozen different kits at the low price just a few days ago, this won't last.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DBVR2W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

"Homebrewers Outpost" is MoreBeer's presence on Amazon - I've confirmed it with my local MoreBeer retail outlet. The Amazon prices are fantastic right now. I picked up three all grain kits for WAY below what MoreBeer is selling them for directly (Ugly Fish, Pompous Ass Ale and a Barley Wine). I'm gonna be brewing this three day weekend!

The mailing label on the kit boxes indicates they are directly from MoreBeer (via Amazon), so no third party vendor here. Several of the listings do have the wrong weight listed, but the kits are all the same except the hops and some come with unmilled grains, as noted. Bravo, Warrior, and Falconer kits (unmilled) are still on there for about $17. Also, there is a milled Belgian Pale Ale kit, though not as good a deal. The recipe is on the MoreBeer site. I am going to sub the corn sugar on that kit with this D-9 candi syrup for $8:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DB7226/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited:
i picked up a Belma Hops & a whole cone Centennial kit. I paid particular attention to the shipping size/weight info though. Lots of those listed said they were 2 lbs shipping weight and box dimensions were quite small. The weights on the ones i ordered and most others was in-line with what the Morebeer says is in the 5G kit (12 - 14 lbs & larger box sizes)

If anyone orders one of the kits that is showing 2 lb weights, i'd love to know if they get 1G or 5G kits or if that was just an info typo.

i picked up a Belma Hops & a whole cone Centennial kit. I paid particular attention to the shipping size/weight info though. Lots of those listed said they were 2 lbs shipping weight and box dimensions were quite small. The weights on the ones i ordered and most others was in-line with what the Morebeer says is in the 5G kit (12 - 14 lbs & larger box sizes)

If anyone orders one of the kits that is showing 2 lb weights, i'd love to know if they get 1G or 5G kits or if that was just an info typo.

FYI, someone posted a question on the Falconer's kit (listed as 2 lb) and they confirmed it's 5 gallons.

I picked up my first kit (Herkules) for $12.88 last Thursday, February 7! Subsequently, agonized over the huge selection (there must have been 30 different milled kits available) and picked out Jester, Pacifica, Meridian, and Horizon. I thought about the Delta, Santiam, Polaris, Fuggles, Helga kits, but there is only so much weight I'm willing to gain for the sake of homebrew! These were all just $14.43 each! This is about a year's worth of brewing for me. Funny thing is, I have not brewed an all-grain since November 2011!

The single hop kits have been popping up randomly over the last week. If you keep checking back every so often, there will be a different selection. The pricing has crept up, as you would expect from Amazon. If it is a single hop experiment kit, it will be the MoreBeer 5 Gallon kit, they do not put together any other single hop kit. Grains will be milled or unmilled. Also, there is an occasional kit that will be base malts only, which are not really a deal. The product information is scarce and the weights are usually wrong. I'll probably make the Meridian IPA as a single hop, all others are going to be re-purposed.

Last edited:
There was always just one in stock for almost all the <$15 kits and they appear to be all gone. The few at $19 with unmilled grains left are probably the best you will see. I thought these kits were mis-priced from the get go. And the descriptions and weights being so poor, they must have had an intern doing the listings. Probably the same guy who pulled the Asiana Airlines prank.

Mine arrived today. The Williamette and Chinook arrived in great shape with Briess 2-row. As soon as I picked up the Ron Mexico package, I knew something was up because I heard stuff moving around. Opened up the package and three of the six packets of hops were open, with the hop pellets on the bottom of the box. They whole box smelled like feet. So now I can either try to make the kit with 3 ounces of hops, find a complementary hop to throw in with it, or return it to amazon and get my $17 back.

Got 2 of the 3 I ordered today. All in good shape. They were all supposed to be milled grains, but one of the 2 row 10lb packs is clearly not milled. Totally fine by me as I can delay brewing that one.
Great deal on these and gonna have to keep an eye on their amazon storefront going forward.

I personally would just round up the hops and use them, you know what they are, but why not email Homebrewers Outpost and try to get replacement hops of the same or substitute? MoreBeer shows them in stock. They seem to respond to inquiries. The only issue I had with 5 kits ordered was the NZ Pacific Gem ended up being Pacifica, but I'm fine with it.

My fear with rounding them up is that I have no idea how long they've been laying at the bottom of the box, and in what condition. The box smelled pretty bag as soon as I opened it.

I did a return-and-replace with Amazon, but it said they would not ship it until late March or late April. So I did a chat, and they refunded half of what I paid. Essentially I paid about $8.50 for 3 ounces of Ron Mexico hops, 10 lbs of 2-row, and some other small stuff. I checked online and saw a recipe that uses 3 ounces of these hops, so maybe I'll give that a shot. Or just do a 2.5 gallon batch of the original recipe, and keep the leftover grains for something else.

I’ve purchased various kits from homebrewers outpost on Amazon over the last year. On a few occasions I have received hops that were brown but everything is usually okay. My guess is that they sit at an amazon warehouse for awhile before being sold. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, none of the ingredients have a packaging date.

I’ve purchased extract kits from them as well and the LME was always dark from aging. You can look up the kit contents on the morebeer website.

I can’t say that a beer ever turned out bad because of these kits but just be aware that they might be (or likely are) old.

Edit: I meant Amazon.

Last edited:
To date, I have opened and used two grain bags and they look and tasted fine, just like the other three. All the 15L looks the same and pass a visual inspection. I have not dug into the hops yet. I can say that NB doesn't date their hop bags either and I got an 8oz package of Centennial recently that I think should have been a bit more pungent. This is a risk with any of the larger suppliers. I think the only way to ensure fresh hops is to go with Yakima Valley Hops and it is probably worth going that route, but the price on these kits is quite compelling.

All 5 of the kits I got had similar batch numbers on them, 4 of the 5 batch numbers: 49253, 48239, 48097, 49200. They may number their kits sequentially, so a recently shipped batch number might shed some light on how current the kits are. I do know that when there were a large number of the single hop kits available week before last, almost every kit had only a single kit listed as being available, only about 20% or so had more than one kit available and those were with unmilled grains.

OK, not to sound dumb or (worse) paranoid, but the Father-in-Law Pils just has as a description "All-grain kit" "Un-milled base malts" and "Does not include yeast" --
So, does it contain everything I'd need to brew that recipe except the yeast?
Just want to be sure I understand, and thanks for the great links!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074D9FLMV/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

As of right now on Amazon there are only 2 that are under $20. Anything higher than that, I can piece together on my own for less $$.

OK, not to sound dumb or (worse) paranoid, but the Father-in-Law Pils just has as a description "All-grain kit" "Un-milled base malts" and "Does not include yeast" --
So, does it contain everything I'd need to brew that recipe except the yeast?
Just want to be sure I understand, and thanks for the great links!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074D9FLMV/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Correct, the kit should include everything you need. A more detailed list can be found at morebeer.com.

I bought and received the Centennial Kit and Bravo kit, however my Bravo kit came in as a Smoke Porter kit. Ended up getting half of it refunded through Amazon. I also went ahead and ordered the Father-In-Law Pils kit and Craig's Travelin' Man kit.

I tallied up what the single hop kits would cost if purchased separately (and assuming free shipping) on the MoreBeer site so as to determine how much is actually being saved and to generally pat myself on the back for snagging such a good deal:

10# Milled Briess 2 Row: $12.49
1# Great Western 15L Crystal: $ 2.19
.5 oz Magnum: $ .60
3 x 2oz Hops $ 8.67
4 oz Priming Sugar $ 1.39
1 whirlfloc tablet: $ .29
_______
$25.03

The kit price on MoreBeer varies but is typically at or above $32.99. It is more cost effective to just order the ingredients.

Thanks again for pointing out the deals at Homebrewers Outpost. I got the Father-in-Law Pils at 12.95 and it arrived yesterday- unmilled grains, lots of Saaz hops, looks like a good kit. I clicked on the link above (just now) and it's listed for 43.39. Can't wait to brew it and see how it goes! I'll be watching Homebrewers Outpost for more deals.

Ordered the Barleywine kit. It was $17.54 for the kit arrived today and everything is fine. It was a steal. I believe it is now listed around $55

EE495A57-E801-4F5B-BE0D-B56D2038924A.jpeg

I looked at the specs and they say weight 5lbs. It it comes with over 10lbs of grain how is that possible?

I got the Belgian Dubbel kit yesterday for about $17. Everything looks fine. They jacked the price up to $50 now.

Back