Any Experience With These Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindsculptor

Reaction score
I bought the Dutch Castle Magic kit and I decided I wanted to experiment, so I ordered the Experimental Pine Fruit and AHDA 527 (2 oz ea) from Yakima Valley Hops. I loved the complex tasting notes that are described and I think they'll go well with any Belgian-style strong ale, I'm just a little concerned that the AA levels (18% and 14% respectively) might overpower the beer a little.

Two ideas I had were to only use an ounce each and divide them so I'm doing a hop drop every six minutes during the boil. I think that should be enough to mellow the monster bitterness. Also, it's going to be maturing in the secondary until around Christmas time and I'm definitely considering a couple weeks of aging with whisky-soaked oak cubes.

They may well be a little wasted if the beer will be maturing for so long.
Maybe just use them to dry hop or to make hop tea and add it on bottling or kegging day.

Back