Brewing a Columbus single hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I have an all-grain kit that I got from Northern last year that I'm finally going to brew today. It was a pumpkin ale kit but obviously I'm not making a pumpkin ale in February. The kit came with one ounce of Cluster hops.

What I'd like to do is make a bunch of single hop IPAs and then compare then side by side. I made a Chinook IPA that's going into the keg today. So I decided to make a Columbus IPA today instead of using the Cluster hops.

Grain bill:
7.5 Rahr 2-row
2.5 German Munich
0.5 Briess Caramel 80
0.25 Briess Caramel 60

Target OG: 1.054

Hop schedule:
1 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz Columbus 20 min
1.5 oz Columbus 2 min

Should be around 90 IBU's.

What do you think?

I would cut the Munich to 1 lb, even, add more 2-row, remove the Crystal 80 completely, and boost the Crystal 60 to 12 ounces. Mash at 152 F.

For 1.054 OG, you don't want something as high as 90 IBUs. I recommend bittering with 1/2 oz. and then adding your next hop additions at 10/0/Dryhop. How much at these times depends on your batch size.

I ordered this kit pre-milled and it all arrives in the same bag so changing the grain bill is impossible.

5-gallon batch. The Columbus I'm using says 15.2% AA.

Thanks for your help. There is so much to learn about this hobby.

I've been thinking of tossing together something to utilize some of the full pound of columbus I have sitting in my freezer. Much like EyePeeA recommended, I plan on doing a small bittering amount and maybe a FWH, but then hop bursting at the end and a dryhop for 3-5 days. Good luck with your brew and be sure to post your final hop schedule and how it turns out!

Ok... how about:

.5 oz @ 60 min
.75 oz @ 20 min
1.25 oz @ 1 min

This gives it 60 IBU's.

I'm a big fan of Lagunitas Daytime and that's 50 IBU's. Am I on the right track?

That's only 2.5 oz. total hops for 5 gallons with no dryhop.

Lagunitas Daytime is a very light, aromatic, dryhopped Session IPA. It begins at 1.042, which means the FG has to be hovering around 1.007.

Lagunitas is known for mashing in the upper 150s, using the low attenuating WLP002 as their house yeast, and not adding simple sugar additions for their low abv beers. Making a very dry & balanced Session IPA is quite the task as it is, more so if all of this is going against you. I love Columbus, but it is quite harsh, and not a particularly good choice for a balanced Session IPA.

untitled.JPG

I'd too move the 20 min addition to later in the boil, maybe to 5 mins. Definitely dry hop it as well. Maybe 2 ounces for a week or so.

I guess I wasn't being very clear, sorry about that. I'm not trying to make a Daytime clone or even make this beer taste anything like it. I was just using it to compare OG vs. IBU and see if I was on the right track.

I also forgot to mention it but I was going to use 2 oz to dry hop it after a week in primary.

If anyone wants to suggest a hop schedule for this beer, I'm wide open to suggestions because (I guess that's obvious by now) I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

I know this beer is long gone by now. But, I wish I would have caught you to tell you your original hop schedule should be fine. I did an all Columbus PA a few years ago that ended up being one of the best beers I ever brewed. For a 5 gallon I had:

1 oz (60)
1 oz (15)
1 oz (KO)

It was one of the simplest recipes I ever brewed as well. Extract brew.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/ahs-pale-ale

Back