Simplicity is Divinity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My girlfriend came across this recipe online for tomato sauce, and it is the best tomato sauce I have ever had. It has become a mandatory weekly/bi-weekly staple in our home now, and it still amazes me at how wonderful it is for how easy it is.

1 can of San Marzano tomatoes (Go with the good stuff!)
1/2 an onion, peeled
5 tbs butter

Empty the can of tomatoes in a pot, maybe mash them up some with a potato masher. Add the butter to the pot. Place the onion in cut side down and get it partially covered. Simmer for 45 minutes.

THAT'S IT.
This creates a fantastic base sauce to branch out from. For example, we frequently will add fresh red peppers, some chili peppers, garlic, and Italian sausage. Really with the base you can turn it any which way you want.

What makes this sauce so wonderful is the butter. Olive oil just won't do the same magical things in your mouth that the butter will. You can get away with just 4tbs to cut a little bit of calories out if you really want to, but I wouldn't go more than that. This recipe also multiplies well with the same amounts.

Enjoy!

When it comes to marinara, I completely agree. Here's the recipe I've been using for a while now.

2 cans San Marzano
1 onion diced
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
pinch of red pepper flakes/sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes till onions are translucent then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. All you need after that is some spaghetti!

Going to have to also agree, simple is by far the best, no need to get super elaborate with all kinds of additions, 5-6 herbs, etc. Typically I use something to this effect:

-Whatever kind of tomatoes product you prefer (usually canned diced tomatos and some sort of quality tomato paste in our house)
-Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
-Olive Oil
-Basil and/or thyme
-Diced Garlic
-Pinch or two of powdered cayenne

Occasionally I'll add a splash of wine or vodka if we've got some on hand and it matches the dish.

Haven't tried San Marzano tomatoes yet, but will definitely be doing so now (in fact I'm going grocery shopping tonight).

Back