Simple lager -like ale recipe

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking for a recipe for a simple, cheap, light and low bitterness lawn-mowing ale. Something to make my lager -drinking friends happy. I brew all grain biab.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm having a hard time searching for a recipe, since I don't even know what style this brew would be.

Thanks! :)

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with a Blonde Ale or Kolsch. I don't have an AG recipe for either and I've only ever brewed a Blonde but it was delicious! There is a Centennial Blonde recipe floating around out there somewhere that looks good!

While I've never brewed a Kolsch...I wouldn't know where to start, but I have had one and you can't beat it for a "lawn-mower" beer! Hopefully someone will post a good recipe because I've been wanting to try it.

sumbrewindude

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm looking for a recipe for a simple, cheap, light and low bitterness lawn-mowing ale. Something to make my lager -drinking friends happy. I brew all grain biab.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm having a hard time searching for a recipe, since I don't even know what style this brew would be.

Thanks! :)

Two fantastic recipes that I've tried for great "lawn mower" beer are both from Biermuncher:

Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

I've tried it with various hops, and if you want a more german style spin on it use a low AA German-esque hop, like Saaz. I used US05 and fermented on the cold side.

Krisper Kolsch - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/krisper-kolsch-26964/

Another good one, and fits the Kolsch requirement. Again I subbed US05 fermented cold.

There's also Biermuncher's Centenial Ale which is great too, but if you're working with the BMC crowd it might be have a little more flavor than they're accustomed to.

AND -

There's great recipes from Yooper and Ed Wort for pale ales, I just haven't had a chance to get to all of those yet. :rockin:

DaNewf

Reaction score
I've brewed BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (all grain version) using BIAB and it turned out real nice. It has more flavour (hops) than a commercial lager but not so much as to turn someone off if commercial lager is what they consider "real beer".

FortMillBrew

Reaction score
+1 on BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. I have brewed this twice and both times it turned out great. My BMC drinking friends emptied the kegs in record time. A single ounce of hops in 5g. A true session beer for any BMC drinker.

OP
J

johnnyboy847

Reaction score
Thanks! I will try BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. Is it ok to substitute centennial hops (bittering) with amarillo?

Edit: I'm also thinking about substituting nottingham yeast with us-05, since i can't get nottingham. Should it be fine?

RmikeVT

Reaction score
Thanks! I will try BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde. Is it ok to substitute centennial hops (bittering) with amarillo?

Edit: I'm also thinking about substituting nottingham yeast with us-05, since i can't get nottingham. Should it be fine?

I would imagine you can use amarillo instead of centennial, it will give it a more tangerine/orange flavor than grapefruit (I love amarillo). It should be fine with US-05. One of the reasons he uses Notty is because it ferments fast and is a great flocculator, meaning it clumps up and drops to the bottom quickly, resulting in a beer that can be turned around in 10-14 days. US-05 can take a little longer to drop out of a beer. I've brewed it both ways (I usually bump the gravity to 1.050), and prefer the us-05 if I have time, but if Im in a hurry I definitely use Notty.