Simple easy answer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I am about to make jack kellers medium body blackberry wine, and primary is in a nylon bag, is it started in a 5 gallon bucket then transferred to a 1 gallon secondary? I know it's a simple question, but I am worried about all the head space but in primary when it's producing a lot of CO2 I guess it will be fine. I just want the experts who make this a lot's opinion

Put in a bucket at first is fine. Headspace is not an issue because you have a lot of CO2 being produced and since it is heavier than air it will sit like a protective blanket over the wine. I used a nylon bag in a carboy in my last batch because I did not have a brew bucket on hand. It can be done but my god it was hard to wrestle that bag out of it. Just use the brew bucket and don't worry. Transfer when appropriate and it will be fine.

You don't need to even cover the bucket, except with a towel or something to keep out fruitflies so don't worry about the headspace. Stir it up a couple of times per day to re-submerge the fruit and "smoosh" the fruit up well. Then, transfer when the wine is about 1.010 and airlock it at that time. That's when you want to protect it from oxygen.

Sometimes it gets to .990 really fast, so I miss the 1.010 window, but it's still always been fine.

Ok thanks, what is your recommendation for yeast yooper? I saw u make this often...

Just to add, I've read that Lalvin 71B works well for its ability to reduce some of the acid in the blackberries. I made a batch last year with KV 1112 and I love it. I started another batch this summer with the 71B; while I can't yet comment on the finished product, so far it tastes great.

Thanks, I have all the equipment just gotta get time to go by LBS and get some yeast I'm all put unless I do a JAOM...

Back