Simple 240v solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimyoung

Reaction score
Hi all! After about a year of not making beer - packing, staging, moving, unpacking, fixing, etc., I have moved, and about to start making beer again.

I have looked around the forums but couldn't find what I"m looking for - sorry if I missed it.

I am brewing in my garage, and have already installed an externally vented range hood over where I will brew. Currently, I have a Blichman burner (awesome!), but I'm a little nervous in the garage. I'm getting a nice CO meter for safety, but I'm not the most comfortable with all that burning in a garage attached to my house...

Good news is - the garage has a 240v plug right there for me to use! yay!

I am looking for a simple solution. Weldless element + temp control. I imagine there must be a product that plugs into the wall, gives me a dial (like a stove), and I plug my element into it? But, I can't seem to find it! I don't need PID temperature setting, just some level of control...

any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-large-controller.html

Pretty straight foward. You'll need an element and housing....I got mine from Bobby at Brewhardware.com and I've been really pleased with it. I'm using the silver-soldered Triclover Flange setup but he has weldless designs as well.

I'm using a similar setup but instead of the Stilldragon Potentiometer/SSR setup I'm using a PWM off of Amazon. Something along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKK50UK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Of course folks will recommend GFCI protection to you as well...I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in about that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^sounds just like my rig. Still dragon controller and an element in the kettle, GFCI spa panel between the wall (basement dryer plug) and the controller.

Next rig will have temp control for mashing, still weighing options (3 vessel vs 1, is the main debate).

Thanks guys!

dkenny - that kit looks like it doesn't have any sockets, so you hard wire in and out. Is that what you did? Do you have any photos / more details?

Thanks guys!

dkenny - that kit looks like it doesn't have any sockets, so you hard wire in and out. Is that what you did? Do you have any photos / more details?

Dryer cord (have a dryer receptacle in my basement) wired to the spa panel, spa panel is then hard wired to the control box. From the box, then have output cord (5ish feet) to a twist lock, short pigtail with the male twist lock off the element.

I'll grab a picture or two, in the process of packing and moving so things are a bit disorganized at the moment.

Back