Simmerstat Wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdiowa

Reaction score
I am now ready to jump into the world of electric homebrewing. I have done all the appropriate research on the hazards of electric homebrewing. I have even consulted a master electrician who said that it can be done and has recommeneded the equipment that I have in the next paprgraph

I have a 3000 watt water heater element that I am going to mount in my boiling kettle. I have a 15 amp 240 simmerstat that I am going to use for powering and controling the heating element. I also have a 220 volt outlet that it will plug into. My question is on the back of the simmerstat I have the following terminals.

P
L1
L2
H1
H2

I don't know what goes where in regards to incoming into the simmerstat and from the simmerstat to the heating element.
Any help would be appreciated

TD

I am now ready to jump into the world of electric homebrewing. I have done all the appropriate research on the hazards of electric homebrewing. I have even consulted a master electrician who said that it can be done and has recommeneded the equipment that I have in the next paprgraph

I have a 3000 watt water heater element that I am going to mount in my boiling kettle. I have a 15 amp 240 simmerstat that I am going to use for powering and controling the heating element. I also have a 220 volt outlet that it will plug into. My question is on the back of the simmerstat I have the following terminals.

P
L1
L2
H1
H2

I don't know what goes where in regards to incoming into the simmerstat and from the simmerstat to the heating element.
Any help would be appreciated

TD

Hi there

I'm doing much the same thing - look on the net for the info sheet on the simmerstat you have. Should be one somewhere, and wire it from that.

All the best

P
L1
L2
H1
H2

Just based on that info: L1 & L2 are you incoming power connections and H1 & H2 are the heater connection. The P is the question. There should be a ground, so that may represent "protective", "protection", etc. Not a common designation, which is normally "earth" or "ground". You need to find the documentation to be sure. I am fairly confident with the other connections though, just not the "P".

Disclaimer: There is no substitute for knowledge, experience, and proper documentation! I am merely offering an opinion based on info in your post. Verify accuracy before making the connection. This response comes with no warranty, expressed or implied, as to the suitability with regards to the equipment in your application. If you fry you privates and are unable to reproduce, I am not responsible!

P
L1
L2
H1
H2
TD

Bingo award on your wiring suggestions. The P is a lead for a pilot light so I ignored it.

For what its worth. I hooked the incoming white wire to the L1 and hooked the white wire to H1 which leads to the elment. The incoming black wire hooked to L2 and hooked the black wire to H2 which leads to the element.

I just finnished my second all electric kettle and they both work great. If some one is interested in a cheap and easy way to make a electric kettle I suggest taking a look at going this way.

TD

Back