Simcoe vs Centennial hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm about to brew the SMASH Session Ale from NB and getting all my ingredients out. I noticed the recipe calls for 3oz of Simcoe hops. But I only have 1oz of Centennial and 1oz of unlabeled. I am pretty sure the unlabeled is centennial. I think the label fell of in the freezer sometime over the past year!

Either way. Does anyone see an issue substituting centennial for simcoe? I will get some simcoe for dry hopping in the next couple of days.

Obviously I'm trying I avoid going across town for the simcoe hops.

Thank you!
Lorne

Hello there,

I'm about to brew the SMASH Session Ale from NB and getting all my ingredients out. I noticed the recipe calls for 3oz of Simcoe hops. But I only have 1oz of Centennial and 1oz of unlabeled. I am pretty sure the unlabeled is centennial. I think the label fell of in the freezer sometime over the past year!

Either way. Does anyone see an issue substituting centennial for simcoe? I will get some simcoe for dry hopping in the next couple of days.

Obviously I'm trying I avoid going across town for the simcoe hops.

Thank you!
Lorne

It will be a bit different, but still good.

Centennial can totally stand on its own if needed. Simcoe and Centennial do make an awesome pair, but as Steveruch just said, different but still good.

One of the most popular IPA's in the country (Bell's Two Hearted) is an all Centennial beer. It'll taste great!

I would use a regular bittering hop like Magnum or Warrior, etc, if you have it. Save the unlabeled and Centennial for later additions. Hop specific flavor and aroma after a 60 minute boil are minimal.

Back