Simcoe Red late hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jubelale

Reaction score
How's this look for a red piney hop blast. This would be with all hops late in the 60 minute boil.

5.25 gallons
65% efficiency
14.2 srm
61.4 ibu
1.065 OG
13 lbs pale 2 row
8 oz c120
8 oz cane sugar
2 oz roasted barley 450L
2 oz Simcoe 14.4% at 20 min
2 oz Simcoe 14.4% at 10 min
2 oz Simcoe 14.4% at 0 min
2 oz Simcoe 14.4% at dry
wlp001

He's hop bursting. That's gonna be plenty bitter (75+ IBUs) even with the late additions. I do almost all of my pale ales the same way and just use 4 or 5 ounces of hops in the last 20 minutes. The end result is fantastic flavor and aroma.

Promash calculates it at 61.4 ibu. These are whole hops. The idea is to have a ton of flavor and aroma with a smooth bitterness. I've never used Simcoe but came upon a pound yesterday. I'm looking for a piney aroma with some citrus and a red color. Is it too much Simcoe? Should I use some Chinook along with the Simcoe?

Promash calculates it at 61.4 ibu. These are whole hops. The idea is to have a ton of flavor and aroma with a smooth bitterness. I've never used Simcoe but came upon a pound yesterday. I'm looking for a piney aroma with some citrus and a red color. Is it too much Simcoe? Should I use some Chinook along with the Simcoe?

What formula are you using in ProMash. It defaults to Rager, and after making a hop bursted beer earlier this year, I switched IBU formulas to Tinseth.

The beer I made (according to the Rager formula) was supposed to be 46 IBU and like 1.060 OG. When the beer was done and carbed and ready to drink, it was significantly more bitter than I expected.

Tinseth's formula gives more IBUs for the hops that are boiled for a short time. Re-loading my hop bursted recipe and using Tinseth, it calculated the IBUs at almost 60 (30% increase in bitterness). The beer tastes more like 60 than 46, so I am using Tinseth now since I think it is more accurate for hops boiled for 30 minutes or less.

jubelale said:
? Should I use some Chinook along with the Simcoe?

I used chinook recently in a Red ale and it gave it a slightly rough bitterness, not bad but not smooth. I used 1oz of chinook pellets @60 min. With my last batch which is in the primary now i used .75 oz Warrior hops @60 min. Warrior has higher AA so i used less, but supposed to have a cleaner finish than the chinook. Arogant Bastard ale from Stone i believe uses chinook the whole way through the hop schedule, so if you like that ale youre good to go!

This will have no 60 min addition. It is only late hopped.
I'm looking for more pine aroma than arrogant bastard. More like hop stoopid.

I don't think you will be anywhere near Hop Stoopid. A mix of Chinook/Simcoe will be excellent IMO. Split each add into 2 hops.

This isn't a hop stoopid clone attempt. I am just trying to get that piney aroma it has. I figured 8 ozs of simcoe late and dry would give a huge hop aroma.

Back