Simcoe, Amarillo or Citra...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of beer are you making? It really all depends on what you want your flavor profile to be. I would bitter with the simcoe, and use citra/amarillo for flavor/aroma. Simcoe used as bittering can give a piney hoppiness but when used as a flavor addition can have a fruitiness to it. I love using citra for aroma. I would actually recommend first wort hopping the amarillo. You can't really go wrong with that hop combination regardless. What is your grain bill and style?

I, personally, wouldn't use any of them for bittering. I prefer a neutral bittering hop like Magnum unless I'm doing a specialized beer that needs a certain flavor with the bittering (the DIPA I brewed yesterday is such a time... CTZ from start to finish).

If I had to choose, I guess Simcoe... but personally I would save any of these three for late additions. Use a cheaper and more readily available hop for bittering instead.

This. Magnum or Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus hops work great as bittering hops. Save your good stuff for the late boil additions.

Style? I'm not really sure yet...

Basically I'm doing a partigyle and I have columbus for the first batch which will be a barley wine.

I want to have a low-abv but hoppy beer from the second runnings, maybe even make a in-between blend...

So in my fridge I have the above mentioned hops which I wouldn't personally use for anything but flavor aroma, but I don't really want to go buy any more for this batch.

My other option is to use some of the columbus from the first batch, and one of these for the flavor/aroma for the barley wine...

Since it's a low-ABV beer, howzabout doing all late additions?

That's not a bad idea also...

I was coming here to see, if I switch out the late additions (columbus) for the barley wine, which of these (simcoe/amarillo/citra) would work best there.

I've found I'm not a big fan of simcoe as the dominant flavor and got bored with it right after I had gone through a half pound. I started bittering all of my beers with it just hitting IBU targets. In my ignorant opinion, it was great. I used it in a few low gravity English beers, APAs and even an oatmeal stout which was especially good.

Latest posts

Back