Simcoe Amarillo Citra Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JordanThomas

Reaction score
Here's the planned brew for the weekend. Looking for any comments, critiques, or suggestions that may take this beer to great heights!

Pale ale!
American Pale Ale
6 gallons
All Grain
1.046~OG → 1.010~FG → 4.7%ABV 44 IBU 5.8°L SRM
Yeast
Fermentis - Safale US-05
US-05 - Safale US-05
Fermentis (Ale) 0.18 ounces

Fermentables
9 pounds
2 Row Base
36ppg, 2°L 8 pounds
89%
Crystal 60L
33ppg, 60°L 8 ounces
6%
Wheat
37ppg, 2°L 8 ounces
6%

Hops
6 ounces
Amarillo
11%, Pellet 2 ounces

Citra
11%, Pellet 2 ounces

Simcoe
13%, Pellet 2 ounces

Miscellaneous
1 tablespoon
Irish moss
Fining 1 tablespoon

Batch/Fly
1 hour, 8.30 gallons
Strike
Target 152°F 3.38 gallons at 163°F
1 hour
Sparge 4.92 gallons at 170°F

Boil
1 hour, 6.88 gallons
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.25 ounces
60 minutes (+0)
Amarillo hops
11%, Pellet 0.75 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Citra hops
11%, Pellet 0.75 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 0.75 ounces
15 minutes (+45)
Irish moss
Fining 1 tablespoon
10 minutes (+50)
Amarillo hops
11%, Pellet 0.25 ounces
5 minutes (+55)
Citra hops
11%, Pellet 0.25 ounces
5 minutes (+55)

Ferment
14 days, single stage
Start fermentation
63°F
14 days (+0 days)
Amarillo hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
7 days (+7 days)
Citra hops
11%, Pellet 1 ounce
7 days (+7 days)
Simcoe hops
13%, Pellet 1 ounce
7 days (+7 days)
Notes

Thanks all!

Well, I swapped out the 1/4oz of simcoe from a 60-minute to a FWH, but all else remained the same.

I jacked up the mash temp (about 165 for 20 minutes) thanks to a hard to read thermometer, but then brought the temp down to about 145 for 40 minites. Aye aye aye.

Either way, it smelled fantastic! Fingers crossed there aren't too many unfermentables...

that looks like a similar recipe to one I am formulating right now. Let me know how it ends up.

that looks like a similar recipe to one I am formulating right now. Let me know how it ends up.

Well, it's at 1.028 now, 3.5 days after pitching. Not sure if that's on track or not, but I'm a bit worried. It's got a lot of gunk in the sample, so I'm going to let it sit over night and take a reading with a bit clearer sample. Fingers crossed...

I love your beer!
I just used Simcoe for the first time i a Rye PA, 1oz each at 15,10,5 and 0, with an oz of NB@60. all this in a 1038 beer. No such thing as too much hops eh

I've heard that citra can be overpowering when dry hopped with other hops, so you may want to reduce it's ratio there. Other people may have different thoughts.

I've heard that citra can be overpowering when dry hopped with other hops, so you may want to reduce it's ratio there. Other people may have different thoughts.

May do that. I have to hope that it dries out enough first though. If it ends at 1.020 I may have to do something creative/fixy... A la Brett or amalyse enzyme.

I've just did a couple of brews where I dry hopped a 7 gallon batch with 50g each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra for 7 days. Both were very good. Nice passionfruit nose and taste. My advise would be to not worry about the amount of Citra in the dry hop. It'll be friggin beautiful. :)

I've just did a couple of brews where I dry hopped a 7 gallon batch with 50g each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Citra for 7 days. Both were very good. Nice passionfruit nose and taste. My advise would be to not worry about the amount of Citra in the dry hop. It'll be friggin beautiful. :)

Yea, I'm going to stick with this dry hop mix. All 3 ounces.

Side note: I had to use amalyse enzyme last night, as it hadn't moved from 1.024. Eeeeesh.

Back