Silky smooth feel...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
As I'm experimenting with different yeast...

I'm trying to better understand adjustments to my ciders...

What aspect of a cider provides the silky smooth feel on the tongue?

...and if there's more "friction" than ya like...how do you adjust it?

Cheers!

If you are willing to add stuff, both lactose and glycerin are options.

What is your apple base and do you add sugar? If so, what sugar source? What alc% andany additives?

Could be tannins like with wine. Time softens. Same if high abv. Time softens the hot alcohol bite.

I like to add malic bacteria and induce mlc when I pitch. The mlc lends to a softer more rich mouth feel - more silky and buttery. It can mute some of the lighter floral notes though.

71-B yeast will metabolize roughly 20% of the malic acid in the cider, thereby "softening" it. Wyeast# 4242 can lend a "creamy" mouthfeel. D-47 yeast contributes polysaccharides, which increases the mouthfeel. As paneubert mentioned, you can add glycrine or lactose. You could also add DME/LME instead of sugar, also, you could mash oats (with a bit of 2 row), oats will give it a smooth, silky mouthfeel. Adding raisins could also give your cider a bit more body.
Regards, GF.

Up to this point...I haven't added anything....just AJ, FAJC & yeast.

Made a "cheaters" ice cider...that has 11% ABV...and noticed its smoother on tongue...than regular cider....both via S-04. Granted...its also sweeter!

not sure what you mean by smooth. Is it more the absence of a feeling? i.e. low acidity (not sharp) and low tannin (not astringent) and not-high alcohol (not warming), combined with the presence of residual sugar giving a fuller mouthfeel...?

Smooth = rolls off the tongue w/o any bite...

My "cheaters" ice cider...high ABV...really does this.

So perhaps its the sugar content [emoji111]

Last edited:
Sounds like there are two or three things you want to consider.
1. Viscosity - the more viscous the liquid the longer it stays in your mouth and "rolls off the tongue" as opposed to slips down your throat.
2. ABV - and fusels - the fewer fusels you make the less hot the alcohol so the less "bite"- and fusels are a sign of poor method. Good fermentation protocols result in minimal to no fusels.The higher the ABV - all other things being equal, the hotter the drink will taste. But cider should perhaps have an ABV of about 5 or 6%.
3. Acidity - A TA of about .65g/l of acid and a higher pH makes for a less harsh drink so one with less sharpness.
Of course, if you start off with juice made for soft drinks then you may have more trouble with 3. since the manufacturer aims for a level of acidity to balance the sweetness of the juice.

Back