Silicone Tubing with Sump Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith81

Reaction score
I am considering replacing the tiny aquarium pump that I use to recirculate chill water with a 1/6 HP submersible pump from Harbor Freight. What I am concerned with is whether the silicone tubing will hold up to the extra power of the pump. I currently use an immersion chiller that's 3/8" stainless tubing with barb fittings for 3/8" tubing, I replaced the vinyl tubing that came on it for silicone. Eventually I plan on upgrading to a CFC and will then be using 1/2" silicone tubing.

Here is a link to the pump I am considering:
https://www.harborfreight.com/16-hp-submersible-utility-pump-1600-gph-63319.html

I can't find where I read it but I remember reading somewhere about silicone tubing potentially bursting at 20-30 psi. I've never been very good at physics so I'm clueless as to what kind of pressure to expect a pump like this to put out.

Silicone tubing comes in different thicknesses, but I doubt even with thinner walled stuff you'd burst it just be recirculating. Since it's not a closed system the only pressure will be from the flow resistance of your re circulation loop.

The simplest option is to use hose clamps to keep the tubing attached to the immersion chiller. Silicone tubing is definitely softer and more likely to burst compared to PVC tubing though.

The best option in my mind is to get a compression fitting to NPT, and then use either NPT disconnects (you can use hydraulic style or camlock, etc) or garden hose fittings (either threaded or the quick disconnect style), and then use a stronger style tubing or garden hose for the chill water side.

For my dual stage counterflow chiller (total of 50 ft of 3/8 copper on the inside), I use stainless compression to 1/2" NPT fittings(swagelok are the most well known, but any double ferrule style will work), and I use stainless camlocks for the beerside of things. For the chill water side, I use garden hose threads to the garden hose quick disconnects to make the connections easier. I will say that the rubber washer in these do wear down relatively quickly, within a year or two, so I keep enough on hand to replace them when needed.

I use garden hose threads to the garden hose quick disconnects to make the connections easier. I will say that the rubber washer in these do wear down relatively quickly, within a year or two, so I keep enough on hand to replace them when needed.

Good idea. I just put QDs on my plate chiller and like to have spares for just about everything like that on hand. Where did you get them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back