Signs of fermenting in two hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdstrobe

Reaction score
So I had made this starter this past weekend thinking that I'd have time to brew Tuesday or Wednesday, but I let it sit until last night to use. I'm using the Belgian Strong Ale Wyeast. Anyway, I just finished my boil of my Goose Island Matilda clone when I realized that the OG was lower than expected.

Put together a little light malt extract and some candi sugar, boiled it, chilled it with sanitary cold water and added to the wort. OG reading still lower than expected but do-able. 1.045 (wanted 1.050 but it was my first partial mash using Two Row and no extra fermentables)

Anyway, pitched at about 10PM last night. Loooong brew day. Sat down, watched some sportscenter. Turned off the TV at midnight and heard a little spittering (sp.) come from my kitchen. Bubbling has already taken off. WHAT? Really? Smelled great though. Glad I had nearly no lag time.

The only thing I can think of is half way through the boil, I scooped out about a half cup of wort and put it in the fridge with saran wrap over it. Then I added it to my starter with about 10 minutes left in the boil.

Sound good so far? Mmm makes me want one of the wheats I bottled about a month ago.

Sounds like you had an active strain of yeast. I've used 1388 many times, but haven't seen 2 hour ferment times.

On my current batch (Belgian strong), I used both WLP530 & 500 (Trappist & Abbey) since the LHBS was out of the 545 platinum strain that I wanted. Only used a small bit of corn sugar boiled in water in a 12-hour starter, and the buggers were already at work after about 3 hours. It happens. :)

Latest posts

Back