Sight Gauge $15.47

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jud

Reaction score
BAD IDEA!!!! THOUGHT WAS THERE, RACKING CANE CAN'T TAKE HEAT!!!!!

I have been thinking about a sight gauge for a while to add to my brew kettle. Well some of you know I upgraded to a keg and cut the top off. Today I went to ACE Hardware to get supplies to build a sight gauge. I ended up spending an hour in there. (New store in Tucker GA. They don't have everything in the right place yet!!!!) Ok so here is a parts list.
(1) SST washer $.25
(1) SST 90 degree elbow female/male 3/8 $4.39
(1) SST 1/4 x 1/8 hex bushing $2.79
(1) Compression fitting $
(1) Hose washer $ FREE (left over parts home depot $1.49)
(1) Racking Cane $4.00
Had all the extra orings laying in tool box

Total $15.47

Here is a picture of the parts.
SightgaugeDIY1.jpg
[/url]

I won't insult anyone on drilling a hole. I used the washer to mark the spot where I wanted the hole. I used teflon tape on oll threads.
sightgaugeDIY6.jpg
[/url]

Here is the compression fitting on the racking cane. It slide right on.
]
sightgaugeDIY7.jpg
[/url]

And the fitting!!! Getting happy now!!!
]
sightgaugeDIY8.jpg
[/url]

Here is the testing and marking. I used hot tap water to check all fittings. NO LEAKS!!! I was to lazy to fire up the propane burner to test.
]
sightgaugeDIY10.jpg
[/url]

And it is beer time!!!!
]
sightgaugeDIY11.jpg
[/url]

I hope this helps anyone thinking of building thier own. I marked levels at 4 gallons up. In order to ensure the orings did not move I used a small triangle file to cut a little groove in the racking cane. This only took one pass to cut a small groove, not deep.

Sorry about the pictures being small. There are some other ones in my photos in profile.

Only one question.

Is the racking cane heat safe, I.E. can it handle boiling temperatures without melting, deforming, etc....

I'm thinking you would need to buy something else for this portion of the build.

DAMN!!!!!!:mad: It made it to 20 minutes FULL BOIL!!!! That Sucks!!!!! Ok not the worst Idea I have had, But ranks in the top 10!!!! Hell with it I am going to drink some beer!!!! If you all come up with am idea let me know.

Wasn't really all that much cheaper than the kits I sell, even if it did work. If you want to salvage what you've already done, get some polycarbonate tubing at Mcmaster.com

Headed over to McMasters in the morning. I did not know they have a store in Atlanta. It is a Good Day again!!!

Well Gunner come on over I will have a cold one waiting on you!!!! And your order!!!!

I picked up pyrex tubes from a local art glass shop. They cut them to length for me. I got 6 for $16. (wanted 3 spares)

They are 2 and change at McMasters, and it is down the road. I can drive 30 minutes for that!!!

Jon got you right here. This is the 200 to 300 degrees.

9176T12 Durable Clear Polycarbonate Tubing 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness, 2'L $2.27 each

here was the result of me trying a racking cane for a sight glass. i ended up getting some of the polycarbonate tubing from bobby and it's held fine every since. this is on my HLT by the way.

DSC00050.jpg

Jon got you right here. This is the 200 to 300 degrees.

9176T12 Durable Clear Polycarbonate Tubing 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD, 1/16" Wall Thickness, 2'L $2.27 each

I ordered something from McMaster tuesday night at 11:35 PM. It was on my doorstep when I got home wednesday afternoon. Awesome.

Got charged $4.50 for shipping.

I am going to have to wait until monday. I work close to there saves on diesel fuel that way and at 2.95 per gallon. I am all about saving a few bucks!!!

Back