Sierra Nevada's Oktoberfest (2016) Clone Recipe Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastieboy

Reaction score
Based on what I have gathered online, I put the attached recipe together. I really enjoyed SN's beer last season and hope to create something similar. From what I gather, SN's beer was more of a "souped up helles" version which is 4B Festbier" vs. the old 6A Marzen Oktoberfest style. I guess I like that. Any input on this recipe is greatly appreciated. Hoping to order ingredients (if I can source these) soon! Thanks!

Recipe.jpg

Their website says they use 2-row, pils, vienna and munich. So I think your carafa is out. They also mention using german magnum and palisade to bitter, while finishing hops are german record, saphir and crystal.

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/seasonal/oktoberfest

They don't list an SRM but say that the color is "deep gold". Deep gold correlates to about 6-7 SRM

http://www.twobeerdudes.com/beer/srm

What's difficult is we don't know the grain percentages, so there's a few combinations that could get us to 7 SRM. We also don't know the exactly hop amounts, again, several combinations could get you to 30 IBU.

The yeast is listed only as "lager" so unless someone has inside information there's no way for me to guess.

Putting all of this together, I can make something close. Maybe after a few brews and side by side comparisons we can refine the recipe.

Here is my first draft aka guess at the recipe:

OG 1.060
FG 1.015
IBU 30
ABV 6.0%
SRM 6.7

Grain
4.25lb Munich I (Weyermann)
4.0lb Vienna (Weyermann)
2.0lb 2-row
2.0lb Pilsner (Weyermann)

Hops
1.0 oz Palisade @ 60
.5 oz Saphir @ 15
.5 oz Crystal @ 10

Mash
Single infusion 148F

Yeast
WLP 820 Oktoberfest/Marzen

I decided to leave out Magnum and Record hops. I left out Magnum because 1oz of Palisade was a nice round number and provided enough IBU. Ironically enough, I couldn't find much of a record on Record hops. Beersmith didn't have it in the hops section so I just left it out. The yeast I just picked because it says Oktoberfest on it. Use whatever lager yeast you want. If you do use a different yeast you may have to adjust your mash temp to match the final gravity

Did you guys end up brewing either of these recipes? I too was enthralled with this beer and my local beer shop is about kicked of all of this season's inventory (mostly my fault). Just wondering how these recipes turned out and if there are any adjustments...

I did not attempt it, no. Such a great brew but it would take me a year to dial it in and I have to many irons in the fire right now!

Back