American Brown Ale Sierra Nevada Tumbler Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frod1963

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1332
Yeast Starter
1 liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 at 67*F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 at 32*F
Tasting Notes
Killer Roasty/ Hoppy / Clean American Brown Ale
This is my attempt at Sierra Nevada's release of their Tumbler. I was unable to do a side X side due to the seasonal availability of the beer. I am a very picky brown ale fan and love this.

9.0 lbs Pale malt
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
0.75 lb Chocolate malt (350 SRM)
0.50 lb Smoked malt (9 SRM)

Mash at 152* for 60 minutes

1.00 oz Northern Brewer (9.4%) 60 minutes
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent (4.5%) 10 minutes
0.50 oz Pearl (9.4%) 5 minutes

Irish moss/ or Whirlfloc of your choice

Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast in a 1 liter starter. I know this isn't the Chico strain but I gave it a shot and it turned out awesome. Im sure US-05, WLP 001/ WY 1056 all would be fantastic as well. The hop choices are not as listed on Sierra's site but worked very well. It also took 1st place at small home brew competition between 10 friends brews, no gold medal but cool none the less.

trophy.JPG

Looks virtually identical to my own Tumbler-inspired brew. Glad to see great minds think alike!

Mine uses EKG for finishing instead of Perle, SA-05 as the yeast and 0.5lb Chocolate instead of 0.75lb, but otherwise it's the same deal as yours. In a side-by-side with the real thing, mine is more hoppy (herbal/earthy), slightly darker, and has a slight bit more smoke character. IMO it's closer to a brown porter than an American Brown, but it's very good.

dwarven_stout said:
Looks virtually identical to my own Tumbler-inspired brew. Glad to see great minds think alike!

Mine uses EKG for finishing instead of Perle, SA-05 as the yeast and 0.5lb Chocolate instead of 0.75lb, but otherwise it's the same deal as yours. In a side-by-side with the real thing, mine is more hoppy (herbal/earthy), slightly darker, and has a slight bit more smoke character. IMO it's closer to a brown porter than an American Brown, but it's very good.

Sounds great. Looking back I'm not really sure why I used the perle but it worked and that's probably what I had on hand. I really enjoy how big and rich this beer is for being in the 5% abv range.

Sounds great. Looking back I'm not really sure why I used the perle but it worked and that's probably what I had on hand. I really enjoy how big and rich this beer is for being in the 5% abv range.

I used Perle on my first shot at Tumbler, but I have plenty of EKG on hand and that's what I've used since.

Used this as a basis for a fall ale I am brewing.

My recipe:

9lbs marris otter
1lbs crystal 80
.5lbs pale chocolate
.5lbs weyerman smoked malt

wyeast 1332

did the pale chocolate for color reasons really and to decrease the roastiness(wanted a lighter fall type ale). not sure what hops I am going to use. probablly a combination of willamette/fuggles to about 30 ibus.

will get back in a few weeks with some notes. thanks for the idea!

My recipe turned out really good! I can taste a touch of smoke at the end of a drink but nothing too oustanding with the smoke flavor. One of the better beers I have made lately. Took time on brew day and throughout the fermentation and even bottled this beer as my kegged beers just haven't been tasting right...

I had a similar keg issue earlier this year. I had little demon beasties in my black beer out fittings. Tossed them out and ran new lines, worked great. I've been drinking the crap out of the Sierra beer the past couple months. Good luck.

Sierra Nevada brewmaster Steve Dressler: Tumbler has "fresh roast from the north west" and
less than 1 percent smoked malt". The smoked malt is dry smoked on premises with Almond and
hickory wood.

One of my favorite beers. Stinks the 6 pck in my beer fridge is the last I'll have from them. After years of testing beers to cook with I use this beer for all my fish fries. Had to stash 3 cases and force myself not to drink them per being a seasonal.

Thank you for the recipe. It will be one of the first I brew as soon as I get my equipment together.

Sierra also made me cry when they didn't make Estate in 2013. Another of my go to beers.

Your recipe looks great, I think I'll brew it next.

Got very excited when I saw Tumbler included in the new fall mixed pack Sierra Nevada just released. The pack also includes Oktoberfest- which they've never bottled before that I know of. I am spoiled to live in Chico where I can attend brewery events and get stuff on tap that they never bottle. Tumbler is a great beer though, so I am very excited to see its return in this mixed pack!

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/fall-pack

Found it in the mixers as well. Better than nothing I guess.

Systems almost ready to hear up. This is def getting brewed ASAP

A message from God.

Don't smoke crack dumb ass

Back