Sierra Nevada Resilience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcGuen

Reaction score
Curious how far of a reach this awesome idea had? For those that don’t know what I’m talking about, Sierra Nevada released the beer recipe “Resilience” to raise money for the victims of the “camp fire”. My LHBS sold it as a kit and gave all the money to charity. The idea was for brewery’s around the country to brew this up and donate the profits. So if your local brewery had this available or you brewed it yourself, sound off!!

Just pulled my first pint from the keg..
IMG_0052.JPG

Must have been at least 5 or 6 breweries here I can think of and there's still more breweries coming out with it on tap. I had it on tap a few weeks ago and was sad when the keg kicked. I'm looking forward to seeing how much money was raised once it's all said and done.

I have tried 3 versions from breweries in Northern Virginia. They have all been slightly different, so it is interesting to see the brewer's impact. None of them had much hop flavor or aroma. I am a fan of these simple, traditional American IPA style beers...but if I were to brew a batch I would try to get a little more hop punch. I would be curious to try Sierra Nevada's version.

This makes me really happy. Most of my family is from Chico/Paradise, and I have a sister, a stepbrother, and quite a few second cousins who lost their homes in the fire, but being in China I hadn't heard about the Resilience project. 1000+ breweries all over the country is pretty impressive. I wonder if I can convince my local brewpub in Wuhan to join in.

My LHBS (Vine n Hop, Brunswick OH) has it on tap and is selling it as kits with the profits being donated as well. Really awesome!

My attempt is almost done carbonating. Plan to try the first bottle on Friday. I tried Yakima Craft's version on Resilience night. It wasn't bad. Bale Breaker is suppose to have it now or sometime soon. I hope to try theirs. I bought a crowler from Yakima Craft, hope to get one from Bale Breaker, and then want to do a blind taste between the two and my own version. Really wish somewhere around here was selling the Sierra Nevada original to compare to.

I plan to brew a batch of this beer, but I just made a donation directly to the fund.

I think I have seen a couple recipes that looked just a bit difference from one another.
How did your beer turn out and did the recipe look like this one?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/sierra-nevada-resilience-ipa/

This is the link to give directly
https://www.goldenvalley.bank/Community-Foundation.aspx

It turned out great. Nothing fancy, just a simple, easy drinking beer. That is the same ingredient list that was in the kit I bought.
Thanks for posting the donation link!

I bought two Resilience kits, one for me, one for my BIL.

I brewed it last weekend as a "one-sided collaboration". In other words I applied my own twists to their base (very simple) recipe. I didn't really want an 85 IBU west coast IPA, so I dropped the 60 minute addition down to target 55 IBU. I'm then adding some Galaxy and Citra to the dry hop schedule and doing a double DH, one at the tail end of fermentation, one 3 days later.

I'll be cold crashing in about a week and kegging that weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I plan to brew a batch of this beer, but I just made a donation directly to the fund.

I think I have seen a couple recipes that looked just a bit difference from one another.
How did your beer turn out and did the recipe look like this one?
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/sierra-nevada-resilience-ipa/

This is the link to give directly
https://www.goldenvalley.bank/Community-Foundation.aspx

The recipe that shipped with my kit looked exactly like that.

I got one at Earnest Brew Works in Toledo, OH. It was exactly what I would have expected from Sierra Nevada, which is a solid, enjoyable beer. I know our local garage brewery (Brewery ARS) in South Philly, also participated, but I didn't get the opportunity to try it out.

I believe there are 3 Chicago-area breweries that put it on tap I grabbed a growler from Pollyanna in Rossele, IL and brought it to our home brew club Christmas party. It was pretty good and the growler went fast (along with a slew of other beer!)

I have an friend/acquaintance in Bend. Might have to make a trip, but 6 hours each way is a long way to go for beer...

Anyone else selling the ingredients with the proceeds going to the charity besides Great Fermentations?

It's listed at Atlantic Brew Supply for $26.99 with yeast (but without bottle caps and priming sugar). However, the Instructions page is blank, and the Specs show 5% ABV, 38 IBU and 1.050 OG.

At the other website it shows 1.065 OG and 64 IBU. I'm not sure if ABS just put generic info on their website, or if the recipe is different.

https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/Sierra-Nevada-Resilience-India-Pale-Ale-All-Grain_p_2996.html

I have an friend/acquaintance in Bend. Might have to make a trip, but 6 hours each way is a long way to go for beer...

Well, there are lots of other good reasons to visit. (Boneyard, Crux, Sunriver, Ale Apothecary, Deschutes... and skiing, of course.)

Is Spark's Lake still accessible? Could do some photography, as well, perhaps...

Just opened my first bottle of my version, and I must say I'm quite pleased! I like it much better than the Deschutes Jubelale I just tried, and possibly better than the Yakima Craft version I had, but that might just be my own bias...

It's listed at Atlantic Brew Supply for $26.99 with yeast (but without bottle caps and priming sugar). However, the Instructions page is blank, and the Specs show 5% ABV, 38 IBU and 1.050 OG.

At the other website it shows 1.065 OG and 64 IBU. I'm not sure if ABS just put generic info on their website, or if the recipe is different.

https://www.atlanticbrewsupply.com/Sierra-Nevada-Resilience-India-Pale-Ale-All-Grain_p_2996.html

It's also a different mash schedule.

It's also a different mash schedule.
Interesting. I emailed them to ask about the recipe. Haven't heard back, but now I see that the OG and IBU are in line with the original recipe. Earlier today the recipe sheet wasn't working, but now it is.

Anyway, it looks like a great deal. I'll probably order 2 kits, and add something else to average out the shipping.

Man, I wish I would have seen this thread yeasterday. A friend brought up a new Crowler from Saint Archer Brewery in San Diego New Years day, and just drank it yesterday. Very nice beer! No pictures :(

I'm located in Anderson. A little over an hour away from paradise. We had the carr fire here and then shortly after the camp fire. All of our breweries brewed it. Mine is going into cold crash tomorrow. It's a huge deal to all of us and its amazing to see the momentum behind it. To anyone who donated thank you!

There are several breweries in New England brewing it. The only one I've had was solid.

Several breweries here in Oregon and in my town brewed this. I bought the kit from Great Fermentations. Tastes and smells great. I want to go taste the local breweries version. My Aunt and Uncle lost their home in this fire and don't have insurance to replace it. Hoping this fund is so big that they can rebuild the whole town.

Just about everyone in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area brewed it..each one a bit different, each one tasty. We got growlers just after Christmas of several and had a family taste off..all good. I'm gonna brew one now.

Here's my planned label text for this beer:

Resilient Beast is a "one-sided collaboration" with Sierra Nevada. It's based on their Resiliance IPA recipe. Proceeds from the kit this was brewed from go to victims of the Campfire forest fire. If you enjoy this beer (or perhaps even if you don't), please consider a donation to the Camp Fire Relief fund.
Resilient Beast is a true East Coast/West Coast IPA fusion. It features the base grain bill, yeast and the original centennial and cascade late boil and steeping hops from Resilience , a true West Coast IPA. We've dialed back the bitterness and added several dry hop additions using Galaxy and Citra hops to give it a juicy East Coast finish. Finally, we've used a water profile that's a compromise of the stereotypical profiles for each style.

Sorry for the large pictures. I'll have to figure out a better way to post pictures next time...

Had it here in Downingtown, PA at East Branch Brewing Company!

Back