Sierra Nevada Resilience IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lax coach

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As many of you probably know, Sierra Nevada created a recipe they're calling Resilience IPA, convinced over a hundred breweries to make it yesterday (11/27) and donate the entire proceeds to a Camp Fire Relief Fund they created. They also worked with suppliers to donate many of the raw materials to participating breweries. I think the whole thing is awesome.

They've also posted the recipe publicly, and it has been converted into a 5 gallon batch size, which can be found here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation....m=email&utm_campaign=AHA&_zs=C11dN1&_zl=vD6m4

I'm thinking about making this the first brew on my new system, but am a little confused. The boil is listed at 60 minutes, with a 20 minute rest before chilling to pitching temps. The hops schedule has additions at 80 minutes, 15 minutes, whirlpool (flameout) and dry hop.

I'm assuming 80 minutes means "at the start of boil", referencing the combination of the 60 minute boil plus 20 minute rest). Whirlpool and dry hop are obviously straightforward. But what is the deal with the 15 minutes? If my supposition about the 80 minutes is true, this would be 5 minutes after flameout. But they contribute more IBUs than the whirlpool hops that are added at flameout.

I plan to brew this soon too. Here is how everything is listed on the official recipe downloaded from the Sierra Nevada website. Obviously this is not scaled to a 5 gallon batch like the AHA did:

upload_2018-11-28_10-55-14.png

I think part of the beauty of over 1,000 breweries, plus homebrewers, making this is that some bits are open to interpretation and not everyones will taste exactly the same. I plan to do a 90 minute boil (as I always do) with the 2nd addition at 15 minutes before flameout, then a 15 minute whirlpool and (because I'll have extra hops leftover) 3 times as much dry hops as the AHA recommends. I would suggest you interpret this recipe how you will and just make it yours.

All ready to get this brewed on Monday! Can't wait to try as many as I can!
IMG_20181128_202613_339.jpeg

My goal is to brew this some time in the next couple weeks. Just need to get the ingredients. Unfortunately my LHBS does not carry Imperial yeast.

Brewed my version of this today 10 gallon batch:

12# rahr pale 2 row
2# crystal 60
2# rahr white wheat
2# rahr white wheat roasted @ 315 for 30 min

Mash at 155 for 60 min

1. oz galena for 60
1.5 oz cascade for 15
1.5 oz calypso for 15
1 oz calypso for 5
.5 oz cascade for 5
1 oz calypso at flame out
1.5 oz calypso to be dry hopped

10 gallon batch
10.25 gallons into fermenter @ 1.051
US-05 two packets re hydrated

I was going for a session version and used the hops I had on hand
sam

Last edited:
Brewing this now following the scaled down recipe on AHA. I couldn’t find the Imperial Dry Hop yeast, so using Us-05. Really looking forward to this one for the Holidays.

Cheers

15 gallons made about a week ago! I can't wait to taste this
IMG_20181204_184455_802.jpeg
IMG_20181204_184455_808.jpeg

Just put the fermenter into the garage to cold crash. 7 days since picthing yeast, 3 days since dry hopping. The temp in the garage is right around freezing so it will be a nice cold crash.

I wouldn’t bother fermenting Imperial Dry Hop at 60-62* personally... you won’t get any of the benefits to this yeast fermented that cold... seems like a rather odd recommendation.

This is such a great idea and goes to show how great the brewing community is!

Actually kind of confused by the AHA recipe. If you scaled it down to 6 gallons the hopping amounts at FO and DH are much larger than that. Also the hop additions should be at 80/45/WP

If it is a 60 minute boil is an 80 minute hop addition FWH?

ok I read the links. I'm guessing the 15 minute additions are supposed to be the whirlpool additions.

The pro recipe is really interesting. Love the information on salts. Looks like they have hop additions at 60, 25 and hop back also. I know home brewer IPA recipes have gotten away from the 30 minuteish addition but I'd put it back in if making the recipe.

Sadly my current diet isn't ready for 1.015 FG beer or I'd be making this next weekend. Really cool to have an opportunity like this to be able to make something with this much detail in the commercial recipe and then immediately taste vs commercial versions.

Last edited:
It’s an 80 minute boil

SOB (start of boil) + 35 = 45 minute addition. Then nothing until flame out/Whirlpool

brewed this one yesterday. color going into the carboy was near identical to the Resilience I served from a can while finishing up.

I'm fermenting Dry Hop at 64F for the first few days, and then bumping to 68F for the dry hop addition, followed by a couple days at 70F before crashing.

brewed this one yesterday. color going into the carboy was near identical to the Resilience I served from a can while finishing up.

I'm fermenting Dry Hop at 64F for the first few days, and then bumping to 68F for the dry hop addition, followed by a couple days at 70F before crashing.
Sounds like a good one.

I brewed a slightly modified version of this from a kit. I also bought a 6 pack of the cans (which is what triggered my to alter the recipe. The cans were very west coast bitter with a bit of roastiness. Not a big fan.

I brewed mine with a very small 60 min addition, then moved the rest to 5 minutes and WP. I then added changed the dry hop to citra and galaxy. It turned out OK, but I'm not a fan of that grain bill for an IPA. The really strange part is that mine finished much drier than the recipe: 1.009.

I'm not drinking much beer these days due to a diet, so I'm giving most of it away. Just bottled yesterday (from the keg) so I haven't gotten much feedback yet.

I brewed a slightly modified version of this from a kit. I also bought a 6 pack of the cans (which is what triggered my to alter the recipe. The cans were very west coast bitter with a bit of roastiness. Not a big fan.

I brewed mine with a very small 60 min addition, then moved the rest to 5 minutes and WP. I then added changed the dry hop to citra and galaxy. It turned out OK, but I'm not a fan of that grain bill for an IPA. The really strange part is that mine finished much drier than the recipe: 1.009.

I'm not drinking much beer these days due to a diet, so I'm giving most of it away. Just bottled yesterday (from the keg) so I haven't gotten much feedback yet.
Diet?!@#!? Rubish! Beer helps bulk up lol

Brewed my version of this today 10 gallon batch:

12# rahr pale 2 row
2# crystal 60
2# rahr white wheat
2# rahr white wheat roasted @ 315 for 30 min

Mash at 155 for 60 min

1. oz galena for 60
1.5 oz cascade for 15
1.5 oz calypso for 15
1 oz calypso for 5
.5 oz cascade for 5
1 oz calypso at flame out
1.5 oz calypso to be dry hopped

10 gallon batch
10.25 gallons into fermenter @ 1.051
US-05 two packets re hydrated

I was going for a session version and used the hops I had on hand
sam

Not trying to be a d!ck or anything but can you really call that a 'version' of SN's recipe when your grain bill, hops, yeast and even mash temp is different?? ;-)

I have to ask.

From the sheet posted in first post:

If you look at the calcium levels, does this sheet imply that about 40% of the calcium is precipitated in the mash, while almost all of cl and so4 are carried over to the boil? I read this sheet as if all the salts went into the mash, and just a pinch of caso4 was added to the boil?

Actually kind of confused by the AHA recipe. If you scaled it down to 6 gallons the hopping amounts at FO and DH are much larger than that. Also the hop additions should be at 80/45/WP

That's my question as well. It seems like it would be more than just a half ounce each of cascade and centennial.

Back