Shrinking Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
Where I live the relatively new phenomenon is for restaurants to pour almost all craft beer into a 10 oz snifter and charge the same price as they had for a pint. Virtually every restaurant does it. A 6% IPA I was told last night was 10 ounces because of its high ABV! I’m just venting but also wondering if anyone else has been hit with this shrinking beer phenomenon?

Not every place I go does this but yes in my area the same thing has been going for a year or two now. Same excuse because of high Alcohol content. BS excuse to make extra bank.
Also it's funny that at one place I can get a Dogfish 90 min in 10 oz snifter and the same beer in the 12oz bottle for the same price.

A small 6% pour is a bit ludicrous.

But when it's 9% or more? Makes more sense.

Especially if it's well made, someone could knock back a few pints of a heavy hitter before they know what hits them, and that's a potential issue for an establishment. A few years ago I was brewing for a place that had a sneaky very strong beer. After a few too many people had a few too many glasses (to the point where cops had to be called), they opted to cut off strong beers at two glasses for the same reason. But smaller pours allows both patrons AND bartenders to meter it since it slows consumption.

A few beer bars around here also do rare (expensive) beers in smaller pours regardless of strength. Allows more people to get some, and prevents a stupidly expensive full glass.

If it's clearly marked (very rarely have I seen it not) that it's a smaller glass, then it's ultimately on you for not paying attention. Too small a pour? Don't order it.

A small 6% pour is a bit ludicrous.

But when it's 9% or more? Makes more sense.

Especially if it's well made, someone could knock back a few pints of a heavy hitter before they know what hits them, and that's a potential issue for an establishment. A few years ago I was brewing for a place that had a sneaky very strong beer. After a few too many people had a few too many glasses (to the point where cops had to be called), they opted to cut off strong beers at two glasses for the same reason. But smaller pours allows both patrons AND bartenders to meter it since it slows consumption.

A few beer bars around here also do rare (expensive) beers in smaller pours regardless of strength. Allows more people to get some, and prevents a stupidly expensive full glass.

If it's clearly marked (very rarely have I seen it not) that it's a smaller glass, then it's ultimately on you for not paying attention. Too small a pour? Don't order it.
Agreed and I have no problem with big and/or rare beers being small pours. Some list pour size and some don’t.

In my country a half liter has been taken to mean 0,4 (yes, with a comma too) for longer than I care to remember.

Agreed and I have no problem with big and/or rare beers being small pours. Some list pour size and some don’t.
I guess if its something they want to spread around more or make more available, but I've seen stuff on tap that was not all that special at 6.5% being poured in small snifters because I think some level of marketing and money making is at the root. I might be wrong but at the end of the day these places are in the business of making money and they do these kinds of things to make more money based on hype. The American IPA and all the different buzz words around IPA get on my nerves too. I can't count how many times I've ready hazy, juicy, fruity, wet..etc... For stuff that's not any of those things. Many of the beer bars in my area use these buzz words to market and make more money pour in smaller glasses and charge more. Just my opinion.

If a place has varied pours and isn't making that clear in some manner (either individally listed sizes, or an overarching pour size with a clear asterisk for the exceptions , are the standards here), then I wouldn't be drinking there. That's bad form even if it's not illegal (which would depend on jurisdiction)

I like how we keep talking about "pints" and almost no taproom I've ever frequented actually poured an actual pint of beer. More likely it's a 12-ounce glass, maybe less.

And yes, I use the word "pint" as a generic for a glass of beer.....

I like how we keep talking about "pints" and almost no taproom I've ever frequented actually poured an actual pint of beer. More likely it's a 12-ounce glass, maybe less.

And yes, I use the word "pint" as a generic for a glass of beer.....
A lot of "pints" are 14-16 oz *glasses*. Add in head, and yeah, 12 oz is probably right.

There was a thing years back (99% sure it's defunct) for 3rd party vetting of places that poured a "proper pint" (or whatever volume, but actually served the volume they said). Like people could to an establishment, order, validate the volume, and a place with X number of validations went on the list of vetted places or something like that.

I'd like to see in the US what exists in some European countries, with officially approved glassware with volume markings. Make the glass bigger for head, and pour to proper volume.

It's not just glasses of beer that shrink. I remember when all bottles and cans of beer in Australia were 375mL/12.7oz (or longnecks - 750mL). Now, they seem to mostly be 330 to 350mL. It's just not right!

It's not just glasses of beer that shrink. I remember when all bottles and cans of beer in Australia were 375mL/12.7oz (or longnecks - 750mL). Now, they seem to mostly be 330 to 350mL. It's just not right!
Its a conspiracy!!

If a place has varied pours and isn't making that clear in some manner (either individally listed sizes, or an overarching pour size with a clear asterisk for the exceptions , are the standards here), then I wouldn't be drinking there. That's bad form even if it's not illegal (which would depend on jurisdiction)

Brewery opened a new branch (outlet?) in Alexandria, VA with no sizes, except full/half. All of the beers I have seen them sell to-go are 16 oz. cans, the beer I got at the bar was maybe 12 oz. I did see other smaller glasses in the bar while I was there.

I'd like to see in the US what exists in some European countries, with officially approved glassware with volume markings. Make the glass bigger for head, and pour to proper volume.

This so much. If it had a marking it would enable true half pours. And maybe be able to use a snifter for its intended purpose. A snifter filled to the rim is as ridiculous as serving beer in a wine glass.

check this place out. i found it a few weeks ago, and love the concept of pay by the ounce. solves the whole "getting shorted" issue which i agree with OP, seems to be growing.

BTW, the screens on these say the beer name, brewer, style, ABV and cost per ounce. can't be any clearer, and you get exactly as much as you want.

https://www.ipouritinc.com/pour-taproom-st-petersburg/

I would call horse ****! It ain't high ABV unless it's above 7.5. Heck 6% is like the session IPA's I brew lol

Latest posts

Back