Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my mobile Graifather brew cart. Completely self-contained. Brewing on one side and fermenting on the other. The cooling coils are inside the door under the sparge tank.

I designed these two Custom Beasts for Steamboat Springs, which I formally submit as "Sculptures". The upper Unit I have named "The Bow-Tie" The Lower I call the Dragonfly. The lower is technically 3 Towers, but they were sized and designed to work together, within the specific design of the particular bar. Notice that the different tiers of the faucets are staggered, to allow for handles to fall between faucets, and drips to fall through, as well. These were installed in Steamboat Springs, CO, at a Ski Resort.
The Shells are 4"
Cheers
steamboatbowtie.jpg
steamboatdragonfly.jpg

Here is an update of my brewhouse. I am running a 50amp spa panel to a custom double Blichmann brew commanders build, wall mounted.
Kinda DIY 1/2 barrel system.
My cold side of the brewery has an SS Brewtech glycol chiller cooling 2 Spike cf10 fermenters with the stainless chiller coils. I'm controlling the ferment temp process with an inkbird controller based build.
View attachment 655856View attachment 655857

Attachments

• 20191031_112530.jpg
    20191031_112530.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 251
  • 20190923_104823.jpg
    20190923_104823.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
This is my system, been tweaking for a few years.

Hybrid RIMS system.

Fire to hit temp and boil. Electric during recirculation.

I designed it have a very small foot print. 3x2 ft

IMG_20191111_140901862.jpeg
IMG_20191111_140926390.jpeg
IMG_20191111_140938613.jpeg
IMG_20191111_140934906.jpeg
IMG_20191115_130051998.jpeg
IMG_20191115_130058644.jpeg
IMG_20191120_153310533.jpeg
IMG_20191123_140147712.jpeg

With the false bottom installed in the brew kettle, it was catching some bubbles and got some slight cavitation. The bigger problem was the false bottom caught everything and pretty much clogged it. I was scraping with my paddle to clear a path for a while.

The false bottom has been removed from the kettle, now the grain bed filters like it is supposed to. No more issues.

With the false bottom installed in the brew kettle, it was catching some bubbles and got some slight cavitation. The bigger problem was the false bottom caught everything and pretty much clogged it. I was scraping with my paddle to clear a path for a while.

The false bottom has been removed from the kettle, now the grain bed filters like it is supposed to. No more issues.
sounds like you might have been pumping too fast. those holes on the false bottom in the pic are standard size the FB was undersized but should not have plugged.

This might you can probably see nowView attachment 656038
ah yes I see it now.. strangly though we used a large BIAB mesh that was as fine if not finer over our old false bottom until we got our new one made. we had no issues but that was a 29" diameter fb and a 3 bbl MT and we recirculated at about 4 gpm

Last edited:
I have bag in my mash ton also. Mostly because it is easier to get all the grain out. But it's there. I realized that I wasn't using my grain bed as a filter and was trapping everything in my kettle. Took out the false bottom in the kettle and it works great.

Nice! You really bout your back into those keggles!
Yes about 6-8 hours each.
Those are some damn fine looking keggles you've got there...
Thanks!

Whoa! Major blingage!
Someone's gonna need to wear dark glasses to run that rig :cool:
It deserves a much splashier presentation here, if I may...

20200209_151200-jpg.665848

Cheers! (And Happy Brewing! :mug:)
Hey thanks, I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong on the image insert. I had a timer about to go off. Sure makes that porter I was brewing look black.

Whats the use of the keg stem sticking out the top of the keggles? A handle to lift the top?
Yes. I bought the keggles from another brewer and he had taken the circular keg top and attached the stem to form a lid. There are four SS washers attached to the edge to keep it from falling in. He also gave me parts for the second lid which I assembled. I refit the keggles with SS fittings, converted them to electric, and shined them up.

Back