Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, how did you manage that? Rigid pipe inside the tubing? Seems like it would have been a pain to do, although it does give it a really nice look.

No, it's just like the other original brutus builds. Cap the ends of the tube to create the manifold and then weld half couplings to it for your gas valves. Nothing goes inside.

here is the evolution of my sculpture

the humble beginnings
a pot, cheap cooler and a keg for a boil kettle that i had to lift up on the one burner i had :
tumblr_m9w2hebQz21rcitsko1_500.jpg

as i couldn't stand lifting the brew kettle any more i decided to build a what i call a 2 1/2 tier sculpture consisting of 2 burners, one pump and a beter cooler
tumblr_m850e9iO3A1rcitsko1_500.jpg

this sculpture had worked great for the last year and a 1/2, but i wanted more accuracy, and the only way i could figure that out was update the sculpture to 1/2 electric.
now i have electric HLT with a herms coil inside of it:
tumblr_m9w28yVUNM1rcitsko1_500.jpg

the HERMS in action(the beginnings of a breakfast stout running through the lines):
tumblr_m9w3c9zr1m1rcitsko1_500.jpg

CrankyBeaverBrewery said:
True. Or in other terms I'd be making 330 12 oz beers everytime I brew. Enough for my hockey and baseball teams to last for only 2 weeks

Two weeks....hellfire...my girlfirend's pilates team drinks that much;) just kidding man, that is one fantastic looking stand. I hope to have my stand finished and posted here in the next couple months. This thread just continues to impress and inspire

Who said he's using kegs? All he showed was the brew stand being built.

I assumed it was a standard Brutus type build. If it is bigger then great! One thing you might consider though (and this has come up with our brew club's 100 gal system) is that tall narrow vessels take longer to heat/boil than shorter wider ones. If I was going that big, I'd look for shorter, wider vessels and add more burners myself.

Ok, well here we go, I'll finaly post some pics of my setup.

I have been using a three tier gravity system, first pic untill I just got myself a pump yay!:ban: and now I have cut down my three tier to have a two tier with an elevated hot liquor tank for gravity sparge and dough in's. and a separate burner for my boiler so that I can re-arrange my system to take up less space if I wan't. wich is why my pump is mounted in an ammo box, for portability and water proofieness.:mug:

3tier packed up.jpg

3piece 2tier with pump.jpg

Three propane tanks? Afraid of running out? Actually I've been wanting to have a full spare just in case.

Three propane tanks? Afraid of running out? Actually I've been wanting to have a full spare just in case.

ha..ha.. ya I actually own four but like to keep three full ones around just incase I run out mid boil, witch has happened. I like to keep a rotation. it really sucks to go fill up your tank mid brew!

The brewstand is the primary, the grill is secondary. When the grill runs out, brew tank to grill, refilled tank to brewery. I get three brews and one good cleaning from a tank before I worry.

Ok, well here we go, I'll finaly post some pics of my setup.

I have been using a three tier gravity system, first pic untill I just got myself a pump yay!:ban: and now I have cut down my three tier to have a two tier with an elevated hot liquor tank for gravity sparge and dough in's. and a separate burner for my boiler so that I can re-arrange my system to take up less space if I wan't. wich is why my pump is mounted in an ammo box, for portability and water proofieness.:mug:

Hey cruzn, how tall is the burner stand holding the keg on the left side of the 3 tier? I'm thinking about building a stand, rather than ordering one with a burner, and trying to figure out the best height.

Hey cruzn, how tall is the burner stand holding the keg on the left side of the 3 tier? I'm thinking about building a stand, rather than ordering one with a burner, and trying to figure out the best height.

the boil kettle burner is 20" tall at the top point wich allow's you to gravity feed into even a sanky if you want to. I just picked up a truky fryer burner and extended the legs.

Just finished the first brew day on my new setup. It's super basic but it's convenient, affordable, easy to move and gets the job done.

7967942730_d6174310ba_c.jpg

I'll be adding a pump for the HLT on the bottom before the next brew, the rest of it is all gravity fed. Broke it in with a nice American Brown Ale and hit all the targets pretty close, the FG was a little low because I thought I'd lose more to boil off with these new kettles but I guess I was wrong.

Lars... that's awesome, I love the stone top! I really like all of these nice wooden brew sculptures. Especially with all the big bolts and iron accents. I really need to go electric.

Thanks Guys. Fall-line I saw your post on the garage build, Nice job. I wish I had that much room to work with. The room I'm building is only 10x10 so space is very cramped. I have posted a couple of things I have gotten done but I will post pictures of the room when I get it all done. I still need to build the grain mill table and finish hooking up the wiring to the control panel.

SS_Brewing_Co said:
For those of you who have not seen it yet.

I don't understand the manifold that connects to the kettle drain at all...care to explain how it works? Just a little curious how all your transfers are happening

Thanks Guys. Fall-line I saw your post on the garage build, Nice job. I wish I had that much room to work with. The room I'm building is only 10x10 so space is very cramped. I have posted a couple of things I have gotten done but I will post pictures of the room when I get it all done. I still need to build the grain mill table and finish hooking up the wiring to the control panel.

a 10x10 dedicate brew space is better than brewing in the kitchen! There are some great examples of 'cramped' brew spaces on here (Kai's comes to mind). You are off to a fantastic start

wncbrewer said:
I don't understand the manifold that connects to the kettle drain at all...care to explain how it works? Just a little curious how all your transfers are happening

There is a butterfly at all the tanks that goes to one line that goes to my pump that goes to my flow panel's "common port". I have my flow panel piped to each tank so if I want to go from my mash tun to my kettle I shut my hlt valve and bk valve and open my MT valve and move my jumper to the pipe that goes into my BK and turn on my pump and voilá. I hope that makes some sort of sense. Let me know if I need to further elaborate. (I'm a few beers deep).

Back