Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you backsweeten to get that FG or did it naturally finish there?
It looks amazing!
Thanks! This one came out perfectly where I wanted it to finish.

The BOMM that I started this with, was @ 1.004 when I added the berries. The berries did all of the sweetening to get it to FG.
The color is really nice, but, the stains it will leave behind if you spill it will be tough to get out😬😋😆. Don't spill a drop!....that would be alcohol abuse 😂

Blueberry and white wisteria melomel

Attachments

• 20210710_194831[1].jpg
    20210710_194831[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
@Ty520 That looks really good, tasting notes and recipe please :mug:

The recipe below has been slightly adjusted based on previous taste tests of an earlier batch than Dan linked to above - I felt that initial batch didn't have enough birch and sassafras, and too much wintergreen.

IMHO, my recipe turned out better than any of the commerical 'hard' sodas I've tried; I am also proud that I crafted it from scratch, as opposed to some of the commercial meaderies I've tried and discovered that just use pre-manufactured flavor extracts.

initial flavors of sassafras, birch and vanilla, a touch of wintergreen in the middle palate, and slight molasses and adjunct spices on the back end.

More akin to Barqs than A/W, I think

please attribute properly if you share or use the recipe

Ty's Root Beer Metheglin

Ingredients:

(1 gallon batch)
  • 40 oz Orange Blossom honey
  • 16 oz Avocado honey
  • 12 oz brown sugar
  • 1 gallon water
  • D47 yeast
  • 12 tbs sarsparilla root
  • 4 tbs black birch bark
  • 0.5 tbs wintergreen
  • 3 tsp ginger root
  • 3 tsp licorice root
  • 1 clove
  • 1 oz cinnamon stick
  • ½ star anise
  • 2 vanilla beans
  • 0.5 ounces sassafras cubes
  • Go-ferm
  • Fermaid O
  • 0.25 tsp potassium sorbate
  • 0.25 tsp potassium metabisulfite
Method:
  • Bring 1 gallon of water to a simmer. Add spices (sans vanilla) in a brew sock and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and steep for 1 hour.
  • Rehydrate yeast w/ go ferm per instructions.
  • Add hot tea, honey and brown sugar to primary vessel. Stir vigorously to dissolve honey and sugar, and oxygenate.
  • Pitch yeast once must has reached acceptable temperatures.
  • Degas twice daily for 5 days, and add nutrient additions per tosna.
  • Rack after fermentation has completed and lees have settled - at about +2 months
  • Stabilize
  • Add vanilla beans, split lengthwise and sassafras
  • Rack at 4 months - pull vanilla and sassafras
  • Rack again if needed
  • Bulk age to+10 months
  • Bottle and age to +1 year

Of course! Thanks for the reply. I was on that other thread too, and still haven't tried it. Do you think this would work with a BOMM recipe or with Kveik for a quicker turn around? Thanks again for the reply and recipe. :mug:

The recipe below has been slightly adjusted based on previous taste tests of an earlier batch than Dan linked to above - I felt that initial batch didn't have enough birch and sassafras, and too much wintergreen.

IMHO, my recipe turned out better than any of the commerical 'hard' sodas I've tried; I am also proud that I crafted it from scratch, as opposed to some of the commercial meaderies I've tried and discovered that just use pre-manufactured flavor extracts.

initial flavors of sassafras, birch and vanilla, a touch of wintergreen in the middle palate, and slight molasses and adjunct spices on the back end.

More akin to Barqs than A/W, I think

Ty's Root Beer Metheglin

Ingredients:

(1 gallon batch)
  • 40 oz Orange Blossom honey
  • 16 oz Avocado honey
  • 12 oz brown sugar
  • 1 gallon water
  • D47 yeast
  • 12 tbs sarsparilla root
  • 4 tbs black birch bark
  • 0.5 tbs wintergreen
  • 3 tsp ginger root
  • 3 tsp licorice root
  • 1 clove
  • 1 oz cinnamon stick
  • ½ star anise
  • 2 vanilla beans
  • 0.5 ounces sassafras cubes
  • Go-ferm
  • Fermaid O
  • 0.25 tsp potassium sorbate
  • 0.25 tsp potassium metabisulfite
Method:
  • Bring 1 gallon of water to a simmer. Add spices (sans vanilla) in a brew sock and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and steep for 1 hour.
  • Rehydrate yeast w/ go ferm per instructions.
  • Add hot tea, honey and brown sugar to primary vessel. Stir vigorously to dissolve honey and sugar, and oxygenate.
  • Pitch yeast once must has reached acceptable temperatures.
  • Degas twice daily for 5 days, and add nutrient additions per tosna.
  • Rack after fermentation has completed and lees have settled - at about +2 months
  • Stabilize
  • Add vanilla beans, split lengthwise and sassafras
  • Rack at 4 months - pull vanilla and sassafras
  • Rack again if needed
  • Bulk age to+10 months
  • Bottle and age to +1 year
Thanks @Ty520 for posting the most recent revision of this recipe. I knew I had bookmarked @ least one version of it. Can't wait to try it.

I've never done BOMM. But I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I don't think kviek would be an appropriate yeast.

It had been awhile since I made a batch so today I made two. One traditional from some very tasty local honey with a pinch of wine tannin and an avocado honey traditional that will see some bourbon soaked oak cubes in secondary. I split a pack of D47 between them.
A8A78F77-63BF-414F-BB6F-C0639D0D0E99.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed it though

I didn't say that! It's ok, but a bit too medicinal in aroma and front end flavor. Not a dumper, nor a repeater. I do like how the crystal malt and carbonation make it drink kind of like an easy drinking pale ale. I think next time I'll replace the Tension Tamer with just straight peppermint.

Last edited:
I didn't say that! It's ok, but a bit too medicinal in aroma and front end flavor. Not a dumper, nor a repeater. I do like how the crystal malt and carbonation make it drink kind of like an easy drinking pale ale. I think next time I'll replace the Tension Tamer with just straight peppermint.
🤣 Yeah, not my favorite. But, also as you said, Not a dumper, nor a repeater. Mine has aged over 1 year & I'm still not a fan of it. I have plenty to supplement with though 😉😋. I only started those two I posted above 4 days ago, & they've already chewed through 2/3 of the sugars. I'll be drinking those before very long.

Bottled a 9 month old, bulk aged, semi-sweet Blueberry Melomel and used my floor corker for the first time. Well worth it but still need to finish a base and support for it, the depth screw is a little loose but that's an easy fix.
IMG_20220116_182333303.jpg

Bakers honey and raspberries in secondary 14% ABV. Bottled in jugs for aging and awaiting an open keg.

Attachments

• 20220122_200724.jpg
    20220122_200724.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 5
Rose Mead. Really glad how this came out because I made the recipe up and the whole thing was pretty adhoc. Rose petals, rose hips and hibiscus on wildflower honey. 12% ABV. Only thing I have to say now is maybe I should have clarified it but w/e. And yes, in the background is my shelf with all my brewing stuff. You can see a packet of DAP, sparkalloid, lactose, and a bunch of nothern mountain bottles of pectic enzyme, acid blend, tannin and potassium sorbate.
IMG_0070.jpeg

6.5 week old standard honey mead. Just racked it into the secondary. Had to test it and it’s light and sweet but there is the slightest bitter afterbite. Hoping that is just from some of the yeast sediment?

Attachments

• 3A0821A1-310B-4CB9-8726-02E672CEA58A.jpeg
    3A0821A1-310B-4CB9-8726-02E672CEA58A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
Back