Show me your hop trellis!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
Time to show the construction/final product!

If it's not too much to ask, please provide a little detail on your build (size, materials, etc) and the rationale behind it. It will certainly help me and I'm betting others, too.

The hop garden photo thread is great and the photos are fantastic for inspiration but more times than not don't really describe the trellis and the materials used. Plus the hops sometimes hide the actual structure.

I'm a first year grower and will need to build a dedicated trellis for next season.

Thanks in advance!

I potted mine and strung them up to the roof of my house with green trellis string, a couple of eye hooks and garden stakes. They are climbing away right now. Had the potters here already, so total cost was less than 5 bucks and took about 15 minutes to string up. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404052055.043614.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm still finishing mine up but here's a before shot and a current one. I used 4x4s anchored to 8" diameter by 2ft deep concrete footings. The boards on top are 2x6s and I'll be putting slats across the top running in the other direction.

It's only 10ft high so next year I'll probably string the trellis in a zigzag pattern

1404054672938.jpg

1404054713593.jpg

I have had mine going for several years now.... More for a "beer garden" area than functionality of harvesting and using. I just like having hops growing and they throw some nice shade and make for a cool place to drink a beer while grilling and I have my smoker right off this area too.

hops 1.jpg

hops 2.jpg

hops 3.jpg

hops 4.jpg

IMG_6316_zps5739342b.jpg

Not a great perspective, but this is what my bines think about the 16' limit they've encountered! Put in 50 Centennial bines a year ago, had 35 make the cut. Put in two Cascade crowns this year along with transplanting a Chinook at the wrong time. I lost the existing Chinook bines, but everything else is going crazy! These are Centennials, looking for more height, dropping down and growing back up on themselves!

1404103283561.jpg

I love these types of threads. Here's my set up. I had parameters set upon me from my HOA and can't grow anything that can be visible from the street. That limited me to 6 vertical feet. Biology has the answer to cramming a lot of length into a tiny space, and that's using a helix. My lines are 30+ horizontal feet with spare lining at the top. Its daily training because they want to touch the sky, but it's worth it. I'm hoping for a decent yield this year as well as good root establishment. This is all my plants first year in the ground, nuggets third year (2 in pots). The others are crowns from GLH. The HOA may have won, but so did I. The wife loves my hops now they are contained to their boxes. :)

And yes, Nugget tried to kill and eat my tomatoes. I came home from vacation to see dozens of sidearms tangling through the tomato plant, and many of the leaves were droopy amd sad. Their new (now temporary) home by Chinook, since the main bine broke at 16'. She's all sidearms and cones now.

Well see how it is when the mammoth sunflowers I'm growing decide to crown my fence. :)

1404163481629.jpg

10359229_10101896360904410_6018895809274884130_n.jpg

the funny thing is i made this trellis for some fat crowns i got from great lakes hops knowing they would(should) be a head of some rhizomes i got as well. well didn't plan to make much of anything for the rhizomes and they are already as big if not bigger than the crowns....definitely a good problem to have don't get me wrong...

10359229_10101896360904410_6018895809274884130_n.jpg

the funny thing is i made this trellis for some fat crowns i got from great lakes hops knowing they would(should) be a head of some rhizomes i got as well. well didn't plan to make much of anything for the rhizomes and they are already as big if not bigger than the crowns....definitely a good problem to have don't get me wrong...

Dang. Those 4x4s with a 2x4 across the top with some eye hooks?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Dang. Those 4x4s with a 2x4 across the top with some eye hooks?

Sure is. We snagged some pvc from the dump (6 in i think) and dug them into the ground, then threw them 4x4s in there. Now I can just cap the pvc for the winter and take the rest down in hopes to make that thing last. Not much of a DIY guy at all so I was pretty pleased with how it came out.

That's a brilliant idea! SWMBO is not thrilled about the hop trellis I'm about to build in the front yard.

How long have you used this system? Holding up well I assume? How deep did you go with the PVC? Surrounded by cement/concrete?

Sorry about all the questions. I love the idea.

What line are you guys using? is it able to last years at a time?

That's a brilliant idea! SWMBO is not thrilled about the hop trellis I'm about to build in the front yard.

How long have you used this system? Holding up well I assume? How deep did you go with the PVC? Surrounded by cement/concrete?

Sorry about all the questions. I love the idea.

This is my first season growing. We've had some CRAZY crazy winds early on this summer and she barely rocked. If I did it again I'd probably go another foot deeper with the pvc if i could. Ended up with limited PVC this year so I could only dig them ~3 feet down. There's no cement anywhere there, I did use a lot of scrap wood to secure the 4x4s in the pvc which seems to work quite nicely.

My favorite part is that it will be pretty easy to take down and stash away for the winter. The only catch is you are definitely going to need 1-2 people to help you do so. Took my buddy and I two tries to get the both posts in the ground without dropping it. (4x4s are f'n heavy!)

2 12 ft long pressure treated 4x4s buried 2 ft with about 120 lbs of cement per post (I'm paranoid and our neighborhood has really close houses!) Between the posts I strung some standard rope that's supposed to be rot resistant so it should last for years and I have sisal rope going up to that from the ground for the bines to climb. This was my second structure. The first was a single 10 ft post that I had sisal rope going up at an angle and tried to grow 6 rhizomes around it. Needless to say they all became one big bush so I had to spread them out this year.

1404331329605.jpg

1404331354803.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404357714.066463.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404359109.562189.jpg
2x6 8 ft long with 2x2 beams for them to grow along. Limited on height of structure by HOA unless I apply for a permit

I am renting and the land lord lives in the house directly behind us (pictured below). As such, I was looking for a minimalist approach. I attached eye bolts to the furring strips and left the lines long. This way as the bine grows I can keep letting out slack to keep em happy. I used one stud at roughly $3-4 and a few furring strips at $1 a piece.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

hops3.jpg

I have them growing up the backside of my house.

Two eyebolts screwed into my eaves on either side with a heavy duty string coming from the ground, up through the two eye bolts, and back down the other side.

Then i have jute twine drops from the eye bolts, and some jute dropping from the middle, giving me 3 seperate runs up the side of the house(usually 2 strings per run) for my 3 plants, Cascade, Columbus and Newport.

This is what it looked like on the day i set it up last year
2013-04-26%2008.42.48.jpg

This is what the left side looked like about 2 weeks ago
Cascade062314.jpg

Expecting well over 1# of hops dried again this year, cant wait.

C97EB72C-4CA7-4B22-B418-F6725289F211.jpg

8D4D0138-409D-4DE7-BE6C-22948AE1AF8A.jpg

BAC4F200-776C-4C9D-B178-A8F38CA02A95.jpg

Not ideal, but trying to keep my limited yard tidy and at the same time trying to get something from these rhizomes.

My house will be my trellis.

Here's my trellis I put together last spring. I bought a couple polls (21 feet) from a hop farm. I planted them 3 feet in the ground, giving me 18 feet to grow hops. I used 2x6 for the bed and filled it in with 4-way dirt. The box is 10' x 4'. Taking the guidance of varietal separation, It gave me enough room for 3 varietals. I used a cable and anchors that can be released to drop the plants for harvest. My only oversight at this point may be that the varietals I planted have different harvest times, so not sure how that will work when dropping the cable. Just planning to drop it when all are mature, meaning some will go longer than needed.

Hope this helps. Here's a few photos.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407005112.186555.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407005123.227994.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1407005134.227446.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Let's see if this works -

It's a bad pic, but it's all I got. Used 10' 1" EMT to the peak with an eyebolt, then each peak runs lateral to another 10' EMT to make a triangle around the corner. The shortest run is about 25', longest is over 35'. That's a 6' ladder for scale.

Biggest PITA was wrapping the bines horizontally, becuase the lines run to the east, and the plants wanted to grow to the west. Neighbors think it's a hoot.. :mug:

All first year rhizomes, some given some purchased - cascade, hallertau, fuggles, CTZ, chinook, and nugget in order. All growing in planters (half barrels), it's been challenging as can be seen from the leaves.

Right now all have cones and are looking great!

:rockin:

photo 4.JPG

Latest posts

Back