Should Mike Piazza be in the Hall of Fame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Mike Piazza be elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame

• Yes

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is he going to be honored as "The player who's last name most closely resembles Pizza."?

If so, yeah I'm good.

Borderline yes.

To me he's the guy who needs to wait a bit mroe. Guys on the ballot now I'd put in over him

Bonds, Schilling, CLemens, RJ, Pedro, Mussina, Bagwell, Walker, Smoltz, Biggio.

2016 additions who I'd put over him, Griffey.

2017 additiions I'd put over him, maybe pudge, that's it.

2018 additions I'd put over him, Chipper, Thome, Rolen, Andruw

2019 additions I'd put over him, Rivera, and maybe Halladay

2020 includes Jetre, and maybe someone else who hasn't officially retired yet,

As you can tell, there's some strong names on the ballot, there's some strong names coming up, but not too many. If we go with 3 guys per year, around 2020 or 2021 he's be deserving, IMO. OFfensively he should be in the Hall, but he was terrible defensively.

Though not related to this thread directly, here's my HOF Ballot

Bonds
Clemens
RJ
Pedro
Mussina
Schilling
Bagwell
Walker
Trammell
Smoltz

16 years in Majors
.308 BA
427 HR
2127 Hits

1113 strikeout, which is troubling. Considering Yogi Berra only had 414!

However he is one of the most productive offensive Catchers ever, with numbers better than Johnny Bench.
I was never a huge Piazza fan, but his numbers are close to being very good.

They are slightly comparable to Pudge
.296 BA
311 HR
2844 hits

I would say the Hall could do far worse than elect him!

You can't have Trammel if you don't have Whitaker. They come in a set.

Whitaker has a great case, but he's not on the ballot. Trammell is. I think Whitaker not being on the ballot stinks, he deserves to be in too, in the last 40 years, there was no better 2B. He outhit Biggio (when adjusted for era) and was a much better defender, He was equivalent to Roberto Alomar offensively and better regarded defensively in historical stats, He is superior to Ryne Sandberg. Could go on but I won't.

I can't fix the wrongs of the past, Whitaker will get in the hall on the Vet ballot at some point.

Granted, he couldn't throw out runners very well, but consider:

The most important part of a catcher's job is handling his pitchers and in this area Piazza was superb. Here is one of the most telling statistics. In his career behind the plate, pitchers had a 3.80 ERA when Piazza was catching. If you look at all the other catchers who caught the same pitchers in the same year that Piazza did, they allowed a 4.34 ERA. That's a major difference, much more important than a few extra bases stolen. (In fact, Piazza's catcher ERA of 3.81 includes the run value of any extra stolen bases he allowed.)

Craig Wright wrote an excellent article in The Hardball Times Baseball Annual 2009 called Piazza, Hall of Fame Catcher. He did a detailed sabermetric study that showed that hitters had a .723 OPS with Piazza behind the plate and a .748 OPS with other catchers. This 25-point differential is highly significant. In further studies that we did in The Fielding Bible—Volume II, we found that Piazza saved at least 20 to 70 runs more than an average catcher defensively, depending on the technique that we used.

The issue with that is sampling. Piazza routinely caught 130+ games, meaning his starters had at most 6 starts with another catcher vs his 25 or so starts.

While later on in his career, the years we have advanced metric stats on Piazza indicate that he's not very good at catching (compiling a very his -DRS) now he was way worse at 1B, but he wasn't very good at catching.

He should be in the Hall of Fame, Carlton Fisk is, Piazza is better than Fisk. But there are more important fish to fry before it's his turn.

If you have to argue that they should be in the Hall of Fame, then they shouldn't be...especially on the first ballot

Also, if you didn't know some of their major stats (I had no idea Piazza had 400+ homers), they shouldn't be in.

And, for the record, Blyleven got screwed by not getting in until the 14th try.

Then again, I've never understood the whole "wait several cycles to get into the Hall of Fame." Uh, their career stats don't change after they retire, let alone 10-15 years later...

Then again, I've never understood the whole "wait several cycles to get into the Hall of Fame." Uh, their career stats don't change after they retire, let alone 10-15 years later...

No they don't, but if people are still talking about you 10 years later, you are probably an HOF guy. The greats are remembered for decades, the rest are forgotten after a few years.

No they don't, but if people are still talking about you 10 years later, you are probably an HOF guy. The greats are remembered for decades, the rest are forgotten after a few years.

Which is why it's crap that Blyleven had to wait so long....

"Sorry Burt, you're just not quite there yet....Maybe lower your ERA next year.....oh, wait, you haven't pitched in almost 20 years?"

Honestly, the harder it is to get into the HOF, the better I like it. The Baseball HOF is the only one with any integrity IMHO. The others are just popularity contests.

Besides - If Pete Rose isn't getting in, no one should get in. Yeah - I'm one of those guys. I'm not even a Reds fan! :D

I agree. If you don't get in the first try, you don't get in ever.

And yes, Rose should be in. His cheating was after his playing days...

I really like looking at & comparing stats blindy to see who I think should be in, and then looking at the actual names....it's eye opening a lot of times...

all I'm reading is pizza toppings, sides, and crust.

I have to agree .... that is why I clicked. I thought it said pizza. I have at least heard of him before but baseball is so boring I have not watched since my oldest son played. Hall of fame is a joke how do vote for players to be included either they were great at playing a game or they were not. But hey what do I know I'm just here to pi$$ people off. It is not like the rock n roll hall of fame where it is based on 100% opinion. Music is like beer everyone's taste is different.

Question is should Pete rose be in..and I say YES. But mike piazza not yet..not his time and even then questionable..great player none the less

I agree. If you don't get in the first try, you don't get in ever.

And yes, Rose should be in. His cheating was after his playing days...

Wasn't he a coach or something? Betting on games he was involved in? Too bad..... break the rules and pay the price.

So he shouldn't get in to the HOF as a coach. I'm fine with that. As a player, not so much. The guy was one of the best EVER. How do you keep him out of the HOF?

Personally I don't care. Not into baseball. When I clicked on the link I didn't read it clearly and thought it was something about pizza so I commented just to bust some (to steal a word from Billy Klubb) berries. I still stand by what I said about the voting on the whole thing. Should not be voted on either you played great and should be in or you sucked and you should not. I say let them in the day they retire what is the big deal. Making them wait is like paying penance for something you didn't do.

Enough of me yapping about something that I know nothing about send me a pizza I'm hungry now. Make it with Italian sausage, green pepper, onion, extra sauce and extra cheese. And hurry up .... 30 minutes is almost up because it takes so long for me to type! :D I'll have a honey brown waiting for you!

Honestly, the harder it is to get into the HOF, the better I like it. The Baseball HOF is the only one with any integrity IMHO. The others are just popularity contests.

Besides - If Pete Rose isn't getting in, no one should get in. Yeah - I'm one of those guys. I'm not even a Reds fan! :D

Rose is overrated. He hit well but thats only one aspect of the game. He deserves to be in the hall, but he's not one of the 10 best players liek some people make him out to be, he's not one of the 20 best players post WWII.

He compiled a ton of hits because he played a ton of games. His actual line is very unimpressive, Especially considering his poor defense.

Question is should Pete rose be in..and I say YES. But mike piazza not yet..not his time and even then questionable..great player none the less

Rose bet on baseball while he was a manager. He was afforded the opportunity to come clean and refused. He then wrote a book, did a press tour and changed his story numerous times.
Since he was unwilling to admit his actions as a manager (only when it benefits him), one can assume that if he was gambling as a manager he very well may have been gambling as a player.
But he broke the 1 rule , he gambled on baseball.

And regarding Rose's Stats, they better be great he played for 24 years. You can amass alot of stats during that time, but you also wont be around 24 years if you arent amassing stats.

however it should be noted that while Rose's stat are not that great when compared to Cobb, who also played 24 years

Rose had 3000 more at bats and 500 more games than Cobb, during that time he gained 67 more hits (4256 vs 4189), but 462 more strike out (1143 vs 681).
not to mention Cobb was a .366 career batter compared to Rose .303

Anyhow back to Piazza, offensively he was as good as 2 of the greatest catcher Fisk & Berra. The only thing that Berra has over Piazza is catching a perfect game and 10 World Series Rings (& MVP)

But name a better catcher in the last 20 years than Piazza?

But name a better catcher in the last 20 years than Piazza?[/QUOTE]

I can't.

Check this out...

Player Career Runs Created
Mike Piazza 1,378
Carlton Fisk 1,378 Hall of Fame
Ted Simmons 1,283
Yogi Berra 1,265 Hall of Fame
Joe Torre 1,259
Johnny Bench 1,239 Hall of Fame
Gary Carter 1,184 Hall of Fame
Bill Dickey 1,164 Hall of Fame
Gabby Hartnett 1,161 Hall of Fame
Jason Kendall 1,112

Pudge has been slightly better than Piazza JMO (he's way worse offensively, but arguably the best defensive catcher of all time, which for me matters at catcher) Joe Mauer will likely be better than Piazza when his career is done though it won't all be spent at catcher, and depending on health Brian McCann may wind up being better. Health being a big factor for him.

I'm a bit biased being born a Mets fan, but Mikey P (as he was affectionately known in NYC) deserves the nod. He was a game changer for the Mets when they acquired him in 1998. An absolute powerhouse throughout his career. I'm not a number guy, but he carried the Mets on his shoulders for years. And he gave the city a reason to smile with his homerun in the first nyc game post 9/11.
Not to mention everything he did while on the Dodgers.
He deserves it.

Pudge has been slightly better than Piazza JMO (he's way worse offensively, but arguably the best defensive catcher of all time, which for me matters at catcher) Joe Mauer will likely be better than Piazza when his career is done though it won't all be spent at catcher, and depending on health Brian McCann may wind up being better. Health being a big factor for him.

I agree. But you have to give Piazza credit for doing it over 16 years, with almost all of it at catcher. And its hard to argue with 396 home runs as a catcher

I think PIazza should be in the hall, but I don't think an era of poor catchers means that he should be in now. There's a lot of pitchers to get in first, and then some other greats.

Yes he should be in the HOF he's the greatest offensive catcher in the history of baseball...end of story

I recently heard a story here in CT about how one voter said his numbers started to decline in 2003 and he believes it's PED related...he was in his mid 30's at that point. If you look at Jonny Bench's numbers in his mid 30's you'll see a similar decline.

I always liked Pizza...I mean Piazza and as a former catcher myself I say he should be in the hall!

Back